mkv files playing but not streaming from server
Over the last few days I have been collecting some mkv files and storing them on my raid server, which is connected to my network 100mbit... I have never had issues streaming video or audio files to my xbox , how ever im starting to notice now that trying to stream a mkv file on linux xbmc doesnt work for me, it sort of sits for a few seconds then i think gives up, (ie prob cant get enough data)? copying the file over and playing it went perfectly.

IM pretty sure my network is pretty fast I never have issues playing 360 games online, streaming video to my old xbox..

my setup, and this will change is

raid server is vista (ick) , prob change to some nix flavor over the holidays if i can find the right 3ware driver.

anyhow, is their a way to increase the cache a bit higher or have mkv files get more data before starting to stream?

btw im using ubuntu samba to connect to my vista box, I could try nfs or some other clients, recommendations?
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
Check that it's not simply a permissions issue.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

yea. i guess I should of mentioned other files on my mount , xvid, divx etc all play..
-------------
That doesn't make any difference - particularly if it's a windows box.

Permissions are per file, and windows in particular doesn't always respect the "inherit permissions from the folder" principle.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I play 720p and 1080p h264 mkv files over the network no problem at all I have them stored on my windows box and stream then to my linux xbmc over samba.
well thanks guys, im gonna put the raid server on unix, and do a mount, not sure why its so slow Sad anyhow.. just was curious.
-------------
Do a debug log. You'll most likely find it's a permissions issue as we've already said. Nothing to do with the speed of your network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mkv files playing but not streaming from server0