• 15(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-01-23, 20:42)Tatts4Life Wrote: Hahaha of course my two year old receiver would already be outdated. It supports 4K passthrough BUT if I want to get a 4K HDR tv my system won't passthrough the signal. If we were to get a new tv I would have to connect all 4K supported devices to the tv and find some way to pass the audio to the receiver. Or just buy a new $2,500 receiver, like that's gonna happen. This really sucks for my shield since arc doesn't support passthrough and the only connection it has is an HDMI port and no optical port.

Not a cheap option exactly, at $250USD, but the HDFury Integral 4K60 should fix that exact issue you have by splitting the signal and sending the video directly to your TV and the Audio to your AVR. Beats buying a new AVR though.

Edit: My mistake, looks like it only supports HDMI 2.0a
(2017-01-23, 20:42)Tatts4Life Wrote: Hahaha of course my two year old receiver would already be outdated. It supports 4K passthrough BUT if I want to get a 4K HDR tv my system won't passthrough the signal. If we were to get a new tv I would have to connect all 4K supported devices to the tv and find some way to pass the audio to the receiver. Or just buy a new $2,500 receiver, like that's gonna happen. This really sucks for my shield since arc doesn't support passthrough and the only connection it has is an HDMI port and no optical port.

Someone may with more knowledge on the subject may want to correct me (and the probably will), but from my understanding that should be possible with just a firmware update on you AVR. As far as I know, if your AVR is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, then all you should need is a update to HDMI 2.0a/2.0b. I know both Denon and Yamaha have updated AVRs to support HDR via a firmware update.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Have you looked at Monoprice?
I love reading all these complaints. Welcome to the Bleeding Edge guys, and guess what, your going to get Cut.

4K, HDR, HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, Hell, I just bought a new 4K TV (have to read if it supports HDR), and My Denon receiver will get the update to HDMI 2.0b (at some point). But even with all this, not everything will work correctly at first.

Don't get me wrong, I want this all to work too, but I don't expect miracles from all these manufacturers right off the bat.
This is just the electronics manufacturers new business model, constant updates to the specs and new formats to make sure you need to upgrade equipment every year. Ever since video and audio where combined under HDMI everything has been a mess. I want every device to have a seperate HDMI for video that goes directly to the TV and another HDMI for HD audio going to my amplifier. I had my old Marantz DD/DTS amplifier connected via an optical cable for 12 years with zero issues, now what is the lifespan of an AVR? 1-2 years?
I plan to use my avr until it dies like I did with my last one. My current reciever is the Onkyo TX-NR1030 I checked and the last update they had was back in I think 2015. Also doing a Google search it sounds like Onkyo has no way to release an update to support HDR because it also needs a hardware update too. Oh well guess I'll buy a new tv when I buy a new reciever unless the HDFury comes out with something new to help with my situation. I was hoping the shield would have an optical port but it doesn't.
If you're referring to this: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=35599, then yes Dolby Vision would require a hardware update since it requires licensing. For HDR10 though I'm not sure if it would require a hardware upgrade.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-23, 23:59)Tinwarble Wrote: If you're referring to this: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=35599, then yes Dolby Vision would require a hardware update since it requires licensing. For HDR10 though I'm not sure if it would require a hardware upgrade.
I *think* the1030 only supports 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 at 4K 60Hz. If so, it is unlikely that it actually has a full-speed HDMI 2.0 port and because of that it can't be soft-updated to HDMI 2.0a. It will require a hardware upgrade.
Cant remenber if this already mention here...is related to refresh rate & Nvidia Shield

From HDfury Linker on avsforum post #725

Quote:Yes, we are somehow Shield experts

the problem with 4K modern sources is most of them are content dependent, so you will have restrictions based on the content you want to play, since FW3.0.0 the Nvidia Shield enforces 4K60 for Netflix playback, if your display is 4K30, you will be limited to 1080p only.
So this is the most important factor to consider.
I think amazon prime doesn't have such limitation and can still output 4K30 but better get confirmation from someone with recent Shield Firmware.

So if your PJ is 300MHz limited, it will accept deepcolor only in the format of 4K30 4:2:2 12b which is impossible to get from Netflix on Shield.
Ultimately if your PJ also support 4K60 4:2:0 8b @ 300MHz, then Netflix will be possible using Linker at 4K60 (but only 4K60 4:2:0 8b as per your display max limit)
Now if your PJ is only 4K30 capable, then you can forget about Netflix 4K on Shield, the only option is to get 4K60 deepcolor and downscale to 1080p deepcolor with Linker.

Now if you have source that can output 4K30 4:4:4 12b, then Linker can take that in and output 4K30 4:2:2 12b for your PJ.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

"I plan to use my avr until it dies like I did with my last one. My current reciever is the Onkyo TX-NR1030 I checked and the last update they had was back in I think 2015. Also doing a Google search it sounds like Onkyo has no way to release an update to support HDR because it also needs a hardware update too. Oh well guess I'll buy a new tv when I buy a new reciever unless the HDFury comes out with something new to help with my situation. I was hoping the shield would have an optical port but it doesn't."

That might be good (DD 5.1, DTS only): https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Adva...7XA4ZGS9H2
Hi i am new owner of a shield tv 2017. I have a question, when you plug the shield controller it vibrates, but do you hear a weird noise like some parts are loose inside when it vibrates?. I mean my controller works fine but when i plug it to the usb it vibrates and it feels like it rumbles too much, you can hear every plastic part vibrating. I don't know if it just me or in fact something is wrong. I've been trying to find a way to make the controller vibrate to test the issue, however the only way i have found is plugging the micro usb cable.

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-01-23, 22:22)Jdiesel Wrote: This is just the electronics manufacturers new business model, constant updates to the specs and new formats to make sure you need to upgrade equipment every year.

What's funny is my parents had an old crt set that crapped out right when flat screen HDTVs got popular. My parents bought an LGtv that was a nice size but had huge speakers on the size and weighed over 50 pounds. The screen size was something like 32 or 37 but with the speakers it measured 49". The problem was it didn't have hdmi. They bought the tv several month before it was introduced. I bought one maybe one or two years later that was 1080p and had hdmi ports. When it comes to my dad and I, I get lucky and happen to wait just long enough for the tech that will be around for the longest. Unfortunately back in 2015 my old reciever died and we needed a new one. Now it's my dad who has the standard for today's tech as far as tv's and sound systems go and I'm the one who will have an outdated avr for the next few years.
How can I copy the .spmc (or .kodi) folder from one Shield to another? Just tried using ESFileExplorer to do this to a network share, it shows copy failed. Same issue trying to copy to an attached USB stick. Tried the Backup Kodi program add-on, and same issue trying to copy out. How do you do this?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-01-24, 23:17)hdmkv Wrote: How can I copy the .spmc (or .kodi) folder from one Shield to another? Just tried using ESFileExplorer to do this to a network share, it shows copy failed. Same issue trying to copy to an attached USB stick. Tried the Backup Kodi program add-on, and same issue trying to copy out. How do you do this?

Have you mounted these shares? There appears to be an issue where you cannot write to mounted network shares.
Some kind of permissions issue... I just allowed Shield to be shareable on my network, and now I can just browse to \\SHIELDHDMKV (my Shield) and grab the .spmc folder.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188