• 27(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-02-12, 17:32)Veronica Wrote: 1. I read somewhere that there was a limitation of probably 2-3tb for the shield tv for attached usb HDD. Don't know if that still apply so if someone could confirm for nougat please.
Mine is 3tb but accessed as smb network share not adopted and no issues there.

No, even since Marshmallow people have been using drive larger than 3TB. I've personally used a 4TB passport drive and I know others that are using 6-8TB drives.

The limitations is that the Shield can only support single partition drives.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Can't wait for nVidia to fix the audio issue... in my case, setting 'Pause during refresh rate change' and 4 seconds helps most of the time when starting videos w/HD audio, but not when resuming them from where last left off. No audio no matter what (stop/restart or quit out and resume).

A question about Harmony Ultimate and @Koying's suggested keymap for Shield... how can I add ability to skip chapters via D-pad left/right? Thought it did this by default (works with Fire TV), but with Shield, nothing happens w/Harmony left/right.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-02-12, 18:28)hdmkv Wrote: A question about Harmony Ultimate and @Koying's suggested keymap for Shield... how can I add ability to skip chapters via D-pad left/right? Thought it did this by default (works with Fire TV), but with Shield, nothing happens w/Harmony left/right.

Up/down jumps chapters, left/right skip a certain amount of time. Also, if you use my setup (that I've posted what seems a million times) then you shouldn't need any other setup other than using the keymap editor add-on if you want to add special functions.

But here it is again:

You don't have to do anything special, just set it up in the Harmony app. Anything that starts with an ID# "6" should work out of the box. Anything that starts with a ID# "3" can be setup to do what you want via the keymap editor add-on.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
My AVR doesn't do 4K 60HZ pass-through.
I also noticed out of sync when going directly into it.

So I opted for Shield -> TV -> ARC (or optical) -> AVR

My TV is Samsung S8000SX (4K SUHD)

My AVR is also Samsung 7.1 (but only 5 speakers + sub).

I can't seem to find a good audio output setting on in KODI / Shield.

I would like all stereo (usually music) to go to all speakers.
I also never listen to 7.1 sources. Just 5.1.
I can't seem to get this to pass through correctly (always seems to come out as stereo).

However, the PS4 seems to be fine with surround pass through...

I have the 2015 Shield with the latest 5 update.

Any ideas?
OK...

VERY new to KODI again (used to be a Huge XBMC user back in the Xbox days) Once the Xbox was no longer able to stream 1080P MKV streams from my PC I moved to a POPCORN HOUR and then WD LIVE.
When Xbmc made it to PC. I never really used it (due to never having a PC in the living room). But I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield Pro and Just got my first 4K TV so I am jumping on the Kodi Bandwagon.,

What I have done so far.

Installed KODI to the Shield (V17 from apps store).
Configured the Resolution and Audio sections of Kodi.
Since it is hooked up to a Onkyo 809 I have all Audio sources turned on in the pass-through section.
SMB mapped my 2 PC's on Kodi so I can access all my PC's content

The Shield is on a Cat 5e Network hard wired. (no wireless).
The PC's are both Hardwired as well.
1080P Streams even some High Bit rate Bluray Streams 25Mbps stream fine from the PC to my WD live and now my Shield.
I just started getting into 4K as of Yesterday. I borrowed some 4K content from a buddy.

What I noticed so far.
4K is a bit strange but beautiful.
Not sure if it is my TV (smooth-motion engine) or the Streams or network Lag (??) but the One movie I watched was good but had small hiccups.
I got no buffering issues (so I assume the network is fine)
I did get some offsync of audio and mouths, but turning to best Batch over Optimized seemed to correct that,
There used to be an offsync setting you could access on XBMC on the fly, but can't seem to find it in kodi. I tryed using my offsync setting on my recevier but it only goes up not into negatives and by 5ms increments only. i think i needed to go to -3ms or so. either way i got it very very close. it doesn't erk me anymore when watching dialog upclose scenes.

So what else should I do?
Any Shield 4K experts here?
Any Addon's I should get?
Setting I should Tweak Further?
IS there a way to use the shield to perhaps have a bigger buffer just to prevent large 4K streams from lagging or buffering over the network.
(not that I think this will be a problem as I just streamed a 60GB movie over Ethernet to the shield and I got no lag, buffering issues and such) But just incase?

Any advice of how to enhance and give me the best experience possible, please let me know.
(2017-02-12, 23:24)matthuisman Wrote: My AVR doesn't do 4K 60HZ pass-through.
I also noticed out of sync when going directly into it.

So I opted for Shield -> TV -> ARC (or optical) -> AVR

My TV is Samsung S8000SX (4K SUHD)

My AVR is also Samsung 7.1 (but only 5 speakers + sub).

I can't seem to find a good audio output setting on in KODI / Shield.

I would like all stereo (usually music) to go to all speakers.
I also never listen to 7.1 sources. Just 5.1.
I can't seem to get this to pass through correctly (always seems to come out as stereo).

However, the PS4 seems to be fine with surround pass through...

I have the 2015 Shield with the latest 5 update.

Any ideas?

it depends what your TV model supports from HDMI out > Optical > Receiver or HDMI ARC out > Receiver.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2017-02-13, 01:37)Comp1demon Wrote: 1080P Streams even some High Bit rate Bluray Streams 25Mbps stream fine from the PC to my WD live and now my Shield.
I just started getting into 4K as of Yesterday. I borrowed some 4K content from a buddy.

What type of 4K content is it ? Have you seen the 4K demos available in the Wiki ?
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2017-02-13, 03:28)couto27 Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 01:37)Comp1demon Wrote: 1080P Streams even some High Bit rate Bluray Streams 25Mbps stream fine from the PC to my WD live and now my Shield.

What type of 4K content is it ? Have you seen the 4K demos available in the Wiki ?

Doesn't matter... it is 4k 2160P content. As per my PC and VLC media player, so I can confirm it is 4K.
All I know is that I was also able to stream it across my network from my Shield with no issues either.
I played with other content my buddy lent me and messed around with it. it's all 4K 2160p, one supports UHD as well.

What I am looking for is tweaks, suggestions. Also perhaps a sure Fire way to create a bigger buffer on the Shield end, just so I don't run into buffer / Lag issues as the content gets higher and higher in bitrate.

No I have not seen the wiki content.. I will check it out.. Thanks (edit: can't find which Wiki your talking about?)
(2017-02-13, 04:13)Comp1demon Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 03:28)couto27 Wrote:

Doesn't matter... it is 4k 2160P content. As per my PC and VLC media player, so I can confirm it is 4K.
All I know is that I was also able to stream it across my network from my Shield with no issues either.
I played with other content my buddy lent me and messed around with it. it's all 4K 2160p, one supports UHD as well.

What I am looking for is tweaks, suggestions. Also perhaps a sure Fire way to create a bigger buffer on the Shield end, just so I don't run into buffer / Lag issues as the content gets higher and higher in bitrate.

No I have not seen the wiki content.. I will check it out.. Thanks (edit: can't find which Wiki your talking about?)

If you do run into any buffering issues, you can try some advancedsettings.xml tweaks. This is a good starting point and you can tweak from there:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Adva...k-Settings
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache

Here is my advancedsettings.xml for my 2017 Shield. Connected via cable not wireless. GUI set to 4K. Works great for me..

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>
</video>
<fanartres>2160</fanartres>
<imageres>2160</imageres>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>269715200</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>15</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
1: Nvidia Shield TV (2017) 16GB - 2: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 3: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 4: Beelink MinixMXIII II
NAS: unRAID 6.3 Pro • Case (NZXT H440) • MB (MBD-X7SBE with SIM1U+) • CPU (Xeon X3360) • RAM (4x2GB DDR2) • SATA (6 On MB, 8 AOC-SAT2-MV8) • PSU (EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2) • HDD (2 x Toshiba 3TB parity, 6 x WD Red 3TB xfs, 1 x 512GB SSD cache)  • UPS (APC BR1000G)
(2017-02-13, 20:42)Msan Wrote: Here is my advancedsettings.xml for my 2017 Shield. Connected via cable not wireless. GUI set to 4K. Works great for me..

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>
</video>
<fanartres>2160</fanartres>
<imageres>2160</imageres>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>269715200</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>15</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

One thing, if you're on Kodi 17 Krypton, some of those have to be renamed:

In Kodi v17, the following tags are removed from <network> and placed under a new <cache> tag. Also, <cachemembuffersize> is renamed to <memorysize> and <readbufferfactor> is renamed to <readfactor>.

<cache>
<memorysize>0</memorysize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams in memory
When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM -->
<buffermode>0</buffermode> <!-- Choose what to buffer:
0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
3) No buffer -->
<readfactor>4.0</readfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 4.0. -->
</cache>
Maybe you can write it for Kodi17 more like in the post 405? Copy, Paste, Done Smile
(2017-02-13, 20:59)iRubin Wrote: Maybe you can write it for Kodi17 more like in the post 405? Copy, Paste, Done Smile

Have a look at wrxtasy's last post #404 in this thread:

(2017-02-13, 06:40)wrxtasy Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188