• 70(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-01-05, 03:59)ozkhan1 Wrote: Oh really? Is google planning to fix the color space issue in Oreo? Any idea when that release is expected? 

I'm pretty sure that is what I just said above. Colorspace APIs have been added in Oreo > API level 26.

https://developer.android.com/reference/...Space.html
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-04, 18:22)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2018-01-04, 11:41)euser464 Wrote: Hi,
What is it that I'm missing?

Thanks.

This https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...bit+192khz 
Thanks @Tinwarble . It seems like this is a limitation in Android after reading the thread. I'll see in case there is a bugreport for it, otherwise I'm willing to push this forward. I consider HD-audio to be a major flaw on the Shield.
(2018-01-05, 00:00)wrxtasy Wrote: People seem to be confusing the new SPMC 17.6ax auto resolution switching functionality with auto colorspace switching, which is a completely separate issue and actually needs fixing by either NVIDIA and/or Google themselves, unless end users like continually, manually fiddling with Android settings for correct colorspace outputs.
 Maybe I need to check again tonight when home but doesn't Kodi 17.6 on Shield 6.2 auto resolution switch also? I thought it did but I could of been using SPMC 17.6a2 at the time!
As far as I read Color Space switching does work if you don't switch refresh rat and simply lock it to 59Hz.

What's the downside of forcing 59Hz and using SPMC 17.6a2. Shouldn't this have you covered for all kinds of media?
(2018-01-08, 21:07)ColinMacLaren Wrote: As far as I read Color Space switching does work if you don't switch refresh rat and simply lock it to 59Hz.

What's the downside of forcing 59Hz and using SPMC 17.6a2. Shouldn't this have you covered for all kinds of media?
 Yes but then your watching all media at 59hz instead of 23.976 for blu-ray/UHD or 25hz
(2018-01-08, 21:07)ColinMacLaren Wrote: As far as I read Color Space switching does work if you don't switch refresh rat and simply lock it to 59Hz.

You end up watching 23.976Hz content with 3:2 pulldown, and for those of us who live in 50Hz regions, any 50Hz or 25Hz stuff has horrible judder.
This colorspace API just seem to be the standard conversion matrix being baked into android, really.

It doesn't help as far as hell mode selection is concerned, nor does it give more control over how surface is rendering, at first sight (unless they added a new hook into mediacodec or surface)
(2018-01-09, 09:27)Koying Wrote: This colorspace API just seem to be the standard conversion matrix being baked into android, really.

It doesn't help as far as hell mode selection is concerned, nor does it give more control over how surface is rendering, at first sight (unless they added a new hook into mediacodec or surface)
 No, it isn't related to mode selection. I also don't think apps can use it. This is akin to what Amlogic is already doing. I think the API can be used to match the source and destination color spaces and do transforms when necessary. It looks like they are using CIE XYZ transforms which is indeed the best way to do color space transformations.
(2018-01-09, 17:57)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-01-09, 09:27)Koying Wrote: This colorspace API just seem to be the standard conversion matrix being baked into android, really.

No, it isn't related to mode selection. I also don't think apps can use it. This is akin to what Amlogic is already doing. I think the API can be used to match the source and destination color spaces and do transforms when necessary. It looks like they are using CIE XYZ transforms which is indeed the best way to do color space transformations.  

So rather than switching output colour space between 709 and 2020 on a source-by-source basis, you run constantly in 2020 and the OS handles 709->2020 conversion ? (Rather than the display - which presumably has to do colour space conversion based on its primaries?)
I live in a 50 Hz region. Which Content would that be? I haven't watched regular TV for the last eight years or so.
(2018-01-10, 11:59)ColinMacLaren Wrote: I live in a 50 Hz region. Which Content would that be? I haven't watched regular TV for the last eight years or so.

In 50Hz regions, almost all catch-up TV services will be 25p (BBC iPlayer includes 50p stuff), as will the streaming pay services of major TV platform operators (NowTV, ViaPlay, Cmore etc.), most DVDs released in 50Hz regions will be mastered 50i containing either 50Hz or 25Hz original content, and a significant number of TV series released on Blu-ray will also be mastered 50i containing 25p sources (The Blu-ray standard doesn't allow 25p native mastering).

There are some European TV series shot 25p but released 24p (as a "PAL slow down"), mainly to allow the same mastering for 50 and 60Hz regions, but they are the minority.

Anyone running a PVR back-end in a 50Hz region will need 50Hz compatibility for 50Hz Live / Recorded TV, as will any off-air recordings distributed via alternative means.

Netflix also includes a significant amount of 25p content (at least in Europe).  The Crown is a notable 25p production, as are most shows produced as co-productions with 50Hz broadcasters, and most shows acquired from 50Hz broadcasters.  AIUI Amazon have also switched from 23.976 to 25p for series 2 of The Grand Tour.  Having automatic frame rate switching on Amazon and Netflix is one reason I prefer the ATV 4K, Roku Streaming Stick+ or my Sony Blu-ray player for watching Netflix and Amazon - as these three platforms all automatically switch frame rates on Amazon and Netflix if you want them to.  (Many solutions - including some Smart TV apps - appear to run at a fixed frame rate...)
Hi,

Finally I've purchased a SATV Pro and I like it. However, I've installed both SPMC 17.6 Alpha 2 and the latest version of MX Player Pro (I'm a registered user), and I've realized that PQ is not the same. In fact, PQ with MX Player is better than with SPMC, at least when watching Blu-ray rips (on a Full HD screen), it has more depth and is more contrasty.

I've followed recommendations from GitHub to fine-tune settings for a Full HD screen, but I cannot achieve the same picture quality.

Anyone has ideas to achieve a similar PQ or this is not possible because MX has the best PQ available for the Shield? It's a shame MX Player does not have auto frame rate switching nor folder playback support.

Thanks
Useful guide to upgrading the hard disk to SSD on the Shield TV:

http://www.networkmanager.club/showthread.php?tid=32

I can confirm it works and the Shield becomes a lot faster!!

@docwra You wrote „booted in under 10sec“. Is this true? That is faster than the 16GB version. Is this possible at all?
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2018-01-17, 20:47)hoppel118 Wrote: @docwra You wrote „booted in under 10sec“. Is this true? That is faster than the 16GB version. Is this possible at all?
 Ok you are right Wink I exaggerated quite a lot but it just seemed so much faster than before.

I timed it and it takes 27 seconds now to boot from cold.

It is a stunning speed improvement though throughout the system, especially in Kodi.
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188