Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2018-10-25, 17:44)aerogems Wrote: Also, since you mention BT2020, I assume you're interested in HDR content. In which case, you want to avoid LibreELEC, as it doesn't support HDR period from what I can tell. The Vero does, and there are one or two Vero reps lurking around here to help answer questions which is always a plus, but the fatal flaw (IMO) is that they do not support Netflix or Prime Video without having to go way out of your way. If you want Netflix and/or Prime Video, the Shield is probably still the best option there is right now. 

The nVidia Shield TV doesn't do automatic frame rate switching in either Netflix or Amazon Prime. The Apple TV does - and it supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos audio from streaming services. I have both devices and always use the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Amazon for these reasons. (If you don't need Dolby Vision then Roku solutions are the cheapest Netflix and Amazon Prime devices I've seen with frame rate switching) Netflix and Amazon both have content at multiple frame rates so this is an issue if you care about picture quality (and have a TV that can cope with all frame rates - as we Europeans usually do)

The Apple TV 4K doesn't have an easy-to-install Kodi solution, but does have the MrMC forked version.  The Apple TV also doesn't bitstream DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD, but it will decoded 48KHz tracks in these formats losslessly to PCM multichannel (but AIUI the rare 96kHz and 192kHz tracks will be downsampled?), and Dolby Atmos lossless tracks and DTS:x won't bitstream so you lose the additional height channels. (Apple TV 4K only streams lossy Dolby Atmos from streaming services, not the lossless version from Blu-rays)

Yet again - there is no perfect solution.

If you want the best quality Netflix and Amazon Prime (and other streaming services) then the Apple TV 4K is a great solution - particularly if you have Dolby Vision and Atmos gear.  (But keep across the new Amazon Fire TV 4K and the Roku solutions too - as they may be more cost effective and also have frame rate switching implemented and may now support DV and Atmos too - and at a lower price point)
If you want a great solution for Kodi, then the AMLogic S905X/D or S912 (with caveats) LibreElec/CoreElec solutions are very good.  The nVidia Shield TV is a compromise that does both - but it does have some compromises.

There still isn't a single box that does Kodi and Netflix/Amazon without compromises.

Messages In This Thread
Rip CDs? - by crisp waffles - 2017-03-20, 21:19
RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - by noggin - 2018-10-26, 10:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188