Using an LG Magic Remote with Kodi
I managed to get the Magic Remote (AN-MR650) for my new LG Smart TV working to drive Kodi on my GeexBox using a Flirc. It's fantastic to have a single remote to control all the features of a smart TV plus Kodi too!

This is the remote I have:

LG Magic Remote at Amazon

LG's documentation for the remote is horrible. It took some googling and experimenting to figure it out. First of all, I learned the Magic Remote is actually both an RF and IR device. The remote must be physically close to the TV when you program the Flirc because RF communication is needed for the TV to tell the remote the proper IR codes. I know this sounds weird, but it's because all of the intelligence for the universal remote features are in the TV, not the remote. Yawor explains it here:

Flirc Forum Post

Flircs must be programmed using the Flirc app on a Windows PC, but you must do it near the TV!

Second, you must pair the Flirc with an HDMI input using the TV's "Device Connector" menu. That setup requires you to select a device vendor. Of course, neither Kodi nor Flirc are on that list. I chose 'Sony'. You can probably choose any brand, but you must choose one because it defines the IR codes the Magic Remote will send to the Flirc. The Flirc will then convert those codes into the MCE keys that Kodi needs.

If you are not familiar with Flirc programming for Kodi DVR functions, I detail it thoroughly in my Kodi DVR guide:

The Best HTPC Solution for Internet and Live TV in America

Unfortunately, only about half of the buttons on the Magic Remote can be programmed into the flirc. I don't know why. But, it's enough to drive Kodi including DVR functions if you use the numeral buttons also. Strangely, the four colored buttons do not work. Does any one have any idea about how to get those working?

Regards, Clay
I manage to get the full num pad, arrows, enter (scroll button), back and color buttons using this device : "LG/Bluray-DVDPlayer/control type 2"

This remote is pretty limited using CEC, as LG doesn't expose the numeric keypad, using IR gives you a little bit more. I wanted to extend more functionality using long-press but the magic remote doesn't even do long press.

kodi runs in libreelec using an amlogic s905x box.

If you need the remote.conf ir codes maps i can post them here.
Thank you for this idea! I tried using the LG - Control Type 2 device configuration and it does work better than the Sony codes I was using. The 4 color buttons work now! This provides enough buttons for good control of my Kodi DVR.

I have had no success at all getting CEC to work with OpenELEC 6.0 and from what you said I guess it's better to use the Flirc with the LG Magic Remote anyway.

I would like to try your code map file. Can you please post it here?

Are you using a Flirc, or does your code map eliminate the need for a Flirc?

Thanks, Clay
The device i have has an IR receiver, it came with a remote, but i have a harmony logitech that works and also the default LG tv one.

This is the remote.conf codes for the lg remote that worked for me using the device type 2. I don't use FLIRC

Code:
#*********************************************************************************************************
#this file is configuration for each factory remote device
#     work_mode      0 :software mode  1 :hardware mode
#    repeat_enable      0 :disable repeat 1 :enable repeat    
#
#    factory_code      each device has it's unique factory code.
#              pattern:custom_code(16bit)+index_code(16bit)
#              examble: 0xff000001 = 0xff00(custom cod)  0001 (index)
#
#    release_delay      unit:ms.release will report from kernel to user layer after this period of time
#              from press or repeat triggered.
#
#    debug_enable      0 :debug disable  1 :debug disable
#
# SW MODE:
#    bit_count      how many bits in each frame      
#    tw_leader_act      time window for leader active
#    tw_bit0          time window for bit0 time.
#    tw_bit1          time window for bit1 time
#    tw_repeat_leader  time window for repeat leader
# REG
#    reg_base_gen      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BASE_GEN    
#    reg_control      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_CONTROL
#    reg_leader_act      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_ACTIVE
#    reg_leader_idle      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_IDLE
#    reg_repeat_leader set value for PREG_IR_DEC_REPEAT_IDLE
#    reg_bit0_time      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BIT0_TIME
#*************************************************************************************************************

#LG magic remote IR
factory_code    = 0x2d2d0001
factory_infcode = 1
work_mode       = 0
repeat_enable   = 1
release_delay   = 150
debug_enable    = 1

key_begin
    0x45 158        #Return    KEY_BACK
    0x7c 398        #Red    KEY_RED
    0x7d 399        #Green    KEY_GREEN
    0x7e 400        #Yellow    KEY_YELLOW
    0x7f 401        #Blue    KEY_BLUE
    0x59 105        #Left KEY_LEFT
    0x47 103        #Up    KEY_UP
    0x5a 106        #Right    KEY_RIGHT
    0x48 108        #Down KEY_DOWN
    0x58 28            #OK    KEY_ENTER
    0x44 11            #    KEY_0
    0x3b 2            #    KEY_1
    0x3c 3             #    KEY 2
    0x3d 4             #    KEY 3
    0x3e 5             #    KEY 4
    0x3f 6             #    KEY 5
    0x40 7             #    KEY 6
    0x41 8             #    KEY 7
    0x42 9             #    KEY 8
    0x43 10            #     KEY 9
key_end

repeat_key_begin
    0x45 158        #Return    KEY_BACK
    0x7c 398        #Red    KEY_RED
    0x7d 399        #Green    KEY_GREEN
    0x7e 400        #Yellow    KEY_YELLOW
    0x7f 401        #Blue    KEY_BLUE
    0x59 105        #Left KEY_LEFT
    0x47 103        #Up    KEY_UP
    0x5a 106        #Right    KEY_RIGHT
    0x48 108        #Down KEY_DOWN
    0x58 28            #OK    KEY_ENTER
    0x44 11            #    KEY_0
    0x3b 2            #    KEY_1
    0x3c 3             #    KEY 2
    0x3d 4             #    KEY 3
    0x3e 5             #    KEY 4
    0x3f 6             #    KEY 5
    0x40 7             #    KEY 6
    0x41 8             #    KEY 7
    0x42 9             #    KEY 8
    0x43 10            #     KEY 9
repeat_key_end
Hi There,

It seems that the magic remote AN-MR650A is also used for the OLED 55C7V and the tip that it's also a IR device gave me hope.
Indeed I had no trouble pairing it with my Philips Prestigo SRT8215.
guyf,

But, the Philips Prestigo can not control the LG's on-screen pointer, or can it?

For me, the goal was to have a single remote control for Kodi and the LG TV, including the pointer for the WebOS apps.

Regards, Clay
@ClayMontgomery,

No It doesn't.
I have a Screen, AV receiver, NvidiaTV shield setup. So in a ideal world I would use one remote to control these 3 devices.
The Philips Prestigo does this.
I would like to map the subtitle button though, I used to do this with irw but I don't think this is going to work on the Nvidia TV Shield

Regards, Guy
Well, its a bit old thread, but still. I wrote to an LG firmware support staff with a same problem. That LG's "Magic remote" doesn't passes through CEC a lot of buttons. (Except arrow keys, enter key and volume for receiver). I at least raised a request for adding CEC passthrough for numbers and GUIDE button. Now it just shows LG's webOS EPG, but what if I have a cable box or Kodi...
So maybe, maybe something will happen. Because I love the picture of 4K OLED, but when the remote is far less usable then my old Panasonic LCD.. It's shame, because I thought the OLED line is targeted more for enthusiasts.
Well, its a bit old thread, but still. I wrote to an LG firmware support staff with a same problem. That LG's "Magic remote" doesn't passes through CEC a lot of buttons. (Except arrow keys, enter key and volume for receiver). I at least raised a request for adding CEC passthrough for numbers and GUIDE button. Now it just shows LG's webOS EPG, but what if I have a cable box or Kodi...
So maybe, maybe something will happen. Because I love the picture of 4K OLED, but when the remote is far less usable then my old Panasonic LCD.. It's shame, because I thought the OLED line is targeted more for enthusiasts.
The number of buttons that get passed through depend somewhat on what type of device you select for the remote to emulate in LG's Device Connector menu. I got more by configuring it for a Blu-ray DVD Player, but I still don't have the number buttons, but I do have the colored buttons.

I recommend using a Flirc. It just works better than HDMI-CEC on most TVs, as I detailed in my guide for Kodi remotes (Option 5).

Regards, Clay
Hi Clay,

Did you manage to get the magic remote pointer to work on Kodi or just the basic buttons and EPG?

Thanks
Guizmo
Only buttons work in Kodi and only about 2/3 of the buttons on the Magic Remote. I don't think it is possible to use the Magic remote to move the cursor in Kodi, but the Kodi GUI works better without a mouse anyway.

Regards, Clay
Hi, Sorry for not Contributing to this thread so much, BUT..
I just got LG C8 OLED and I am REALLY looking forward on testing and making magic remote to work with RPi 3+ OpenElec 6.x KODI..
Hi realjobe,

I still use my Magic Remote to drive Kodi (OpenELEC) and my LG TV every night. I think it's fantastic using just one remote. I would be glad to help, but you have a decision to make. To summarize:

1. Try to figure out HDMI-CEC. I'm not convinced this has ever worked out well for anyone using Kodi.
2. Use a basic IR sensor and write your own LIRC file, as subzero79 has described. This is the cheapest route.
3. Use a FLIRC device and follow my instructions. This is the easiest route.

Regards, Clay
(2018-07-09, 17:22)ClayMontgomery Wrote: to drive Kodi (OpenELEC)
Really? And you experience no problems? OpenElec is barely maintained anymore and scrapers are broken. I am surprised you have not noticed any problems. You should consider moving over to LibreElec.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using an LG Magic Remote with Kodi0