• 3(current)
[Android] U5PVR Hybrid 4K UHD Broadcast Tuner Set-Top (2017) - UPDATED: 17/05/09
Now that we are getting into the details of this device.....

Q. What external media player Software are you going to use to actually support Kodi, if any ?
The reason I ask is because the HiMedia Q10 Pro uses a Wrapper to call on external player software for features such as Frame Packed 3D and HD Audio. Is the U5 PVR offering such features ?

I think some users here on the forum are expecting a HiMedia Q10 Pro with the addition of PVR features with this U5 PVR device, where that may not actually be the case. Its not actually clear what is being offered beyond a unofficial Android TV Distro & PVR hardware.
This is why @nickr asked the previous Kodi question.

Q. What version of Kodi is being used ?
And is it a modded version ?

Good questions @wrxtasy; wondering the same things. I'm intrigued by any Android box with built-in PVR/DVR functionality as they're rare in the U.S. Few that are available are underdeveloped offerings... including WeTek's good effort with Play2.

Eddy, I'm happy to help with your ATSC version box in the U.S. Alpha/beta-testing, usability development, whatever. BTW, are you guys working with HiSilicon on addressing a couple of remaining shortcomings with this SoC like lack of 23.976 in 3D ISO's? No idea how much HiMedia has been able to push them on addressing this and providing a new SDK.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-01-31, 13:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Now that we are getting into the details of this device.....

Q. What external media player Software are you going to use to actually support Kodi, if any ?
The reason I ask is because the HiMedia Q10 Pro uses a Wrapper to call on external player software for features such as Frame Packed 3D and HD Audio. Is the U5 PVR offering such features ?

I think some users here on the forum are expecting a HiMedia Q10 Pro with the addition of PVR features with this U5 PVR device, where that may not actually be the case. Its not actually clear what is being offered beyond a unofficial Android TV Distro & PVR hardware.

Good question, thank you.

Q10Pro can be switched by the method called Wapper.

However, I do not think this is the best method.

We have heard from China that Hisilicon and Kodi development team are underdevelopment meetings.

However, if the Kodi development team does not support HW Decoding on Hisilicon base,
I think we would like to develop custom Kodi with you in this Kodi Forum.

That's why I posted on this forum.
We support whatever the official Android MediaCodec supports. If Kodi doesn't work on hisilicon chipsets they should fix the firmware and nothing else.
Modified versions are not allowed unless they are fully rebranded.
Android doesn't have a 3D bluray interface support officially and neither has any hardware besides the Pi. Some Intel chips can do it but it's not in Kodi yet
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes agreed. HiSilicon needs to fixup their Android mediacodec support first. Just like all other chipset vendors that want Kodi support.

(2017-02-01, 08:14)Martijn Wrote: Android doesn't have a 3D bluray interface support officially and neither has any hardware besides the Pi. Some Intel chips can do it but it's not in Kodi yet.
And this folks is why you are not seeing 1080p 3D MVC support in the likes of the FireTV's, nVIDIA Shield and AMLogic Hardware.

Its exactly why Zidoo and HiMedia are using external player 1080p 3D MVC Software solutions.

@EddyLab, You will find more info about mediacodec and Kodi Krypton in .....

Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum..

(2017-02-01, 08:14)Martijn Wrote: We support whatever the official Android MediaCodec supports. If Kodi doesn't work on hisilicon chipsets they should fix the firmware and nothing else.
Android doesn't have a 3D bluray interface support officially and neither has any hardware besides the Pi. Some Intel chips can do it but it's not in Kodi yet
Dear Martin, thanks for your answer.
May I ask which version of KODI you supported by official Android Mediacodec?

It will be helpful to debug reason why KODI is working with SW decoding with HiSilicon SDK.

thanks in advanced.
(2017-01-31, 13:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Now that we are getting into the details of this device.....

Basically, we should support same way as like Himedia did.
But after getting Martijn's reply, we have a question why HiSilicon Android SDK can't support well KODI.
As we know, Hisilicon Android box must be support official Android Media Codec.
What we tested on TVH LIVE Channel App, we confirm 4K channels are working very well. so it is Android Player based on Android Codec.
If it is true, we must figure out reason why HiSilcon CPU can't not decode 4K stream with KODI.

==> Maybe, we will go same way like HiMedia did..

==> 16.1 Jarvis Release build: ARMv7a (32bit).
==> Nop.
(2017-02-01, 08:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed. HiSilicon needs to fixup their Android mediacodec support first. Just like all other chipset vendors that want Kodi support.

(2017-02-01, 08:14)Martijn Wrote: Android doesn't have a 3D bluray interface support officially and neither has any hardware besides the Pi. Some Intel chips can do it but it's not in Kodi yet.
And this folks is why you are not seeing 1080p 3D MVC support in the likes of the FireTV's, nVIDIA Shield and AMLogic Hardware.

Its exactly why Zidoo and HiMedia are using external player 1080p 3D MVC Software solutions.

@EddyLab, You will find more info about mediacodec and Kodi Krypton in .....

Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum..

As a U5PVR, we prefer to play 4K@60fps@10bit UHD broadcasting.
First of all, I want to support 4K@60fps@10bit UHD broadcasting in Kodi smoothly.

1. 4K@60fps@10bit UHD broadcasting will play smoothly with ATV OS based Live Channel APP + Android Media setting.

2. However, in Kodi 17 RC version, 4K@60fps@10bit UHD broadcasting is played back by SW decoding, so it is abnormal playback.

3. The above two case of playbacks are judged to be using the same Android Media Codec.

We want to know what this cause is. Confused
(2017-01-31, 15:08)hdmkv Wrote: Good questions @wrxtasy; wondering the same things. I'm intrigued by any Android box with built-in PVR/DVR functionality as they're rare in the U.S. Few that are available are underdeveloped offerings... including WeTek's good effort with Play2.

Eddy, I'm happy to help with your ATSC version box in the U.S. Alpha/beta-testing, usability development, whatever. BTW, are you guys working with HiSilicon on addressing a couple of remaining shortcomings with this SoC like lack of 23.976 in 3D ISO's? No idea how much HiMedia has been able to push them on addressing this and providing a new SDK.

@hdmkv
1. I am honored to be able to contact you here.
We are also grateful for your support for Alpha / beta-testing and usability development support. ^^

2. lack of 23.976 in 3D ISO's
We also heard that there is a problem with Q10Pro.
However, I have yet to check the related tests of problems.
If possible, I would like to receive a link to the test sample clip.

3. Kodi with HiSilicon's Imprex Engine 2.0
We will make HiSilicon's Imprex Engine 2.0 available in Kodi.

Thank you.
(2017-02-01, 08:14)Martijn Wrote: We support whatever the official Android MediaCodec supports. If Kodi doesn't work on hisilicon chipsets they should fix the firmware and nothing else.

@Martijn

"Modified versions are not allowed unless completely branded."
==> Yes. I understand that. And I will surely keep it.

In the 4K@60fps@10bit UHD broadcast playback test mentioned above
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2513455

Different results are shown when using same Android MediaCodec.

I would appreciate your feedback if I could not check it out.

Dear Marijn.

At first, We would like to appreciate KODI team's great efforts.
After getting your information, we checked again KODI website and realized that KODI 17.0 Krypton was changed a lot of part on Video part on Android Devices.

So we tried to get final KODI v17 "Krypton" RC4 apk and tested via U5 PVR. and we saw great performance on KODI.
We couldn't expect that KODI can decode 4K UHD channel but it was worked well via HW decoder in Hi3798CV200 chipset.

We found small bug but it is not major issue. we think your team can revise this issue easily.

Please check below youtube movie then you can find what is small issue but great thing is that KODI can decode 4K UHD channels with Android MediaCodec.

https://youtu.be/EyEZ_eo8wXQ

We are really appreciating KODI team's great job.
4K UHD is all progressive content which most competent 4K HEVC decode hardware platforms can do...

The real test is using Kodi Krypton RC4 & mediacodec with HW decoding to playback 576/1080 H264/mpeg2 Interlaced content with Full Motion deinterlacing Wink

(2017-02-01, 11:49)EddyLab Wrote:
(2017-01-31, 15:08)hdmkv Wrote: Good questions @wrxtasy; wondering the same things. I'm intrigued by any Android box with built-in PVR/DVR functionality as they're rare in the U.S. Few that are available are underdeveloped offerings... including WeTek's good effort with Play2.

@hdmkv
We are also grateful for your support for Alpha / beta-testing and usability development support. ^^

Thank you.
Making the Imprex Engine 2.0 available in Kodi does that mean HiSilicon Soc will support 3D in Kodi without external player?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-02-01, 14:01)U5team Wrote:

Dear Marijn.

At first, We would like to appreciate KODI team's great efforts.
After getting your information, we checked again KODI website and realized that KODI 17.0 Krypton was changed a lot of part on Video part on Android Devices.

So we tried to get final KODI v17 "Krypton" RC4 apk and tested via U5 PVR. and we saw great performance on KODI.
We couldn't expect that KODI can decode 4K UHD channel but it was worked well via HW decoder in Hi3798CV200 chipset.

We found small bug but it is not major issue. we think your team can revise this issue easily.

Please check below youtube movie then you can find what is small issue but great thing is that KODI can decode 4K UHD channels with Android MediaCodec.

https://youtu.be/EyEZ_eo8wXQ

We are really appreciating KODI team's great job.

there are not any problem with mediacodec on Hi3798CV200 chipset:
OMX.hisi.video.decoder.mpeg4
OMX.hisi.video.decoder.avc
OMX.hisi.video.decoder.hevc
OMX.hisi.video.decoder.mpg2
OMX.hisi.video.decoder.vp9

http://androidpremiumplayer.blogspot.it/...zione.html

there problem with kodi and Hi3798CV200 SOC are:
1) auto switch fps :

hisilisocn box use "disptest setfmt" bin command to change HDMI output, the reason why me and CS have make Kodi ADDON- HI Frequency Switch

2) HD audio:
Android 7 and kodi 17 IEC API not work yet.

(2017-02-01, 19:25)movie78 Wrote:

@hdmkv

Thank you.
Making the Imprex Engine 2.0 available in Kodi does that mean HiSilicon Soc will support 3D in Kodi without external player?

i think him talk about hisilicon post-processing image menu(HiPQSetting)

it's very easy, need only change keyfunction.xml

Code:
<key>
        <keyName>HiPQSetting</keyName>
        <keyValue>9</keyValue>
        <packageName>com.hisilicon.android.pqsetting</packageName>
        <serviceName>com.hisilicon.android.pqsetting.MainService</serviceName>
        <action>android.intent.action.MAIN</action>
    </key>

the problem is the "key" on remote
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2017-02-01, 19:25)movie78 Wrote:

Thank you.
[/quote]

@looun

Because you are an expert, the analysis level is high. Wink

Yes.
If you call com.hisilicon.android.pqsetting, you can use PQ setting.

So, in U5PVR we have set pqsetting to be available anytime and anywhere while using Android settop.

The need for PQ setting is as follows.
The display viewer experience can vary from breakfast to lunch to dinner.
This causes a change in viewing conditions due to the influx of external light.

In order to overcome this,
PQ setting can be used to easily adjust the condition of the image which is insufficient or too much.

However, in HDR mode, the PQ setting is fixed and will not operate.
This means that the PQ setting will not move further in the image adjusted by the HDR metadata.

P.S

My father is a color weakness handicapped person.

He always uses Kodi when he watches TV and movies, but he has a lot of difficulties to match his desired color.

In such an environment, the PQ setting seems to be very helpful.

In the future, we would like to have professional SW for color weakness handicapped person developed and installed in Kodi. ^^

Thank you.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Android] U5PVR Hybrid 4K UHD Broadcast Tuner Set-Top (2017) - UPDATED: 17/05/091