v17 Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!
Well I typed out a response to this thread already but, for whatever reason, it didn't populate. Trying again:

(2017-01-27, 19:47)brazen1 Wrote: Yes, 4k can get very confusing at first and you find many conflicting answers from many different sources.
In your case, I suggest you start as lean as possible and work your way up from there. Take your AVR out of the equation for starters. Once you have good communication from your pc to your tv, add the avr in.

Plug your GPU into your tv. I suggest a non-arc port. Make sure the port you select is hdmi 2.0 on your tv. Edit the Device Type for that HDMI source input to 'Bluray'.
Turn on HDMI UHD Color for that port in your tv.
Set HDMI Black level to auto and Auto Motion Plus to smooth.

Set the resolution for your Nvidia GPU to 2160p at RGB Full, 12 bit.

Set resolution in Kodi to 2160p with Adjust Refresh rate to match video on start / stop. Sync playback to display off. Render method auto. Hardware acceleration on. Use fullscreen window on. Use limited color range off.

Play your video. If everything is good, add the avr back into the system using the avr output to the same HDMI input you just used on your tv.
This should get you started.
Thanks. You're the second person to suggest that I should go directly from GPU to TV taking the AVR out of the equation.I'll try that when I get back 'stateside'.

"Set resolution in Kodi to 2160p" <--- confused by that statement. Are you telling me to set my TV to that resolution via the GPU and then launch Kodi? I read somewhere that it was specifically a "NO" to run Kodi in anything other then 1080p...

(2017-01-27, 19:57)PatK Wrote: One thing you did miss was a proper debug log link in that message. I'm sure that anyone who could help you would want to see the log playing one of those 4K videos, I suspect that it may come down to the graphics engine, a quick search doesn't recommend 4K games with this card, yes I know that isn't just 4K video.

Quote:in full-HD 1080p setups, with 1440p and 4K gaming to be out of the question, unless you favour sub 20fps gaming (definitely not recommended).

I was specifically told to purchase that video card for its 4K + HEVC decoding ability over on Reddit /r/HTPC. This is strictly a HTPC and no gaming done on it. Are you suggesting that the GPU isn't sufficient for the task? If so, let me know so I can return it to NewEgg and buy a more appropriate GPU with your recommendation....

I know I failed miserably by not providing a debug log. I had to catch a flight to Germany for work and was pressed for time. I was just hoping that there would be someone that said "you're doing it wrong stupid! You're supposed to have X, Y & Z enabled for 4K" Smile

(2017-01-28, 00:54)nickr Wrote: I don't even see you mention which operating system!

Sorry, was running out the door to get to work and left that out: Win7 x64

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald! - by Usafle - 2017-01-28, 05:08
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!0