v17 Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!
Debug log when attempting to play 2K
(2017-01-31, 04:39)Usafle Wrote: Debug log when attempting to play 2K

According to debug.log you are playing Main10-file, which chokes your machine because of SW-decoding. If you want to trigger the HW-decoding, use for testing for example this test file from jellyfish-alternatives:

jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv

With this file, we can rule out the codec-issue as this one is encoded with h264 and still being in 4k-resolution. Additionally these jelly-files are good candidates for testing as the FPS in these files is 29.97 not 23.976, which could also be the issue here.
Regarding the HDMI-cables. Good quality cables are definitely needed, max. bandwidth of HDMI 2.0b-spec is 18Gbps and is even a bottle-neck for 4k 60Hz full-RGB/4:4:4 10-bit -material. If the cable is not up to task you will see strange flickering, flashing pixels, black screen, etc...
Seems that you have setup MPC-HC also as an external player in Kodi, have you tried that? Especially the 64-bit version of MPC-HC/BE is very efficient in SW-decoding and might even be able to play your trickier HEVC-files. Of course still very dependent on the CPU-horse power.
Yes, I did have that set up for a bit.

Unfortunately, I started to tinker with the "MAD-VR" plugin for MPC-HC and now whenever I launch MPC, it immediately crashes to desktop. I just haven't gotten around to resetting the defaults for that program, one mess at a time I'm trying to concentrate on. LoL

(2017-01-31, 13:42)goodton Wrote: Seems that you have setup MPC-HC also as an external player in Kodi, have you tried that? Especially the 64-bit version of MPC-HC/BE is very efficient in SW-decoding and might even be able to play your trickier HEVC-files. Of course still very dependent on the CPU-horse power.
Well I thought this might have been the answer to all my issues. Found it over on REDDIT Unfortunately, it doesn't change a thing. Still using Software Decoding for HEVC in Kodi.

Glad to know that I am not the only one with this issue with HEVC+Kodi though.
Don't worry about Intel GPU, it is clearly out of equation in this case. NVidia GTX 1050 is your primary display driver/HDMI-audio interface. Although it is possible to configure BIOS to use both iGPU and external graphics card, typically BIOS by default disables the GPU integrated inside processor, when PCI-E -graphics card is installed.

Regarding this Reddit-forumist. He is using Kodi 16.1, which does not support HW-decoding for 10-bit HEVC, only 8-bit. Krypton is the first Kodi-version, which has Main10-support.

To summarize your situation:
- Windows 7 -> no HW-decoding for HEVC 10-bit, 32-bit SW-decoding chokes your CPU.
- clearly 8-bit HEVC is HW-decoded by GTX 1050.
- Sony AVR is working strangely... handshaking problem with EDID?
- quite probably h264- encoded material works.
- the strange behavior of Adjust Refreshrate -setting is a mystery.
I enabled PCI Graphics adapter to init first in my BIOS. But when I saw this guys issue, I figured it would be worth a shot.

I've been searching everywhere, I see no mention of Win 7 HEVC limitation on Hardware decoding. In fact, on the Supported Hardware Kodi official WiKi it states Windows 7 and above is needed for Hardware Decoding.
I'm not arguing with you, because you know much more then I do. But I've yet to come up with any Google result when I type in windows 7 hardware decoding HEVC 10 bit or anything of that nature.

Yes, h264 works, without any issues, as long as I don't enable "Screen Refresh Rate to On (or Always)".

Now that I've manually set my desktop to 2K resolution, the computer (with the AVR) starts in that resolution every time, even though it doesn't say "Native" on the 2K, only the 1080p.
(2017-02-02, 19:55)Usafle Wrote: I've been searching everywhere, I see no mention of Win 7 HEVC limitation on Hardware decoding.

See this thread discussing it:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2170078

The developer says why it won't work on Windows 7.

He has a follow up here saying it won't happen until the Windows 7 drivers support 16-bit textures:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2402502
@ usafle : In your case the upgrade to Windows 8.1 might be most logical step for this dilemma. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no money free path from 7 to 8.1. Windows 10 is still possible to install for free as a clean install using Windows 7 key but as WMC is not officially no more supported, the DRM is issue in your case. WMC is possible to install as a hack to Windows 10 but of course needs additional tinkering and maintaining, especially after bigger Windows-updates. Also the Cable Card/DRM has still issues.
(2017-02-02, 20:18)yasij Wrote: See this thread discussing it:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2170078

The developer says why it won't work on Windows 7.

He has a follow up here saying it won't happen until the Windows 7 drivers support 16-bit textures:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2402502

Thanks! Not that I was doubting, I just couldn't find that information anywhere on Google.

(2017-02-02, 22:33)goodton Wrote: @ usafle : In your case the upgrade to Windows 8.1 might be most logical step for this dilemma. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no money free path from 7 to 8.1. Windows 10 is still possible to install for free as a clean install using Windows 7 key but as WMC is not officially no more supported, the DRM is issue in your case. WMC is possible to install as a hack to Windows 10 but of course needs additional tinkering and maintaining, especially after bigger Windows-updates. Also the Cable Card/DRM has still issues.

I'm not worried about the $ to upgrade to 8.1 ... well for the OS that is. I just hate upgrading a whole OS without putting in new Hardware. If I install an OS it's because I swapped out a Mobo/CPU for something better and I have no other choice. It would kill me to "upgrade" to 8.1 with the same hardware. LoL

On a more positive note (in my situation anyway) there is hope for HD Homerun and the whole DRM/Cable licensing stuff. Looks like I can maybe skip 8.1 and go directly to Windows 10 once it's released.

I swear, if I upgrade to Win10 and I still have this same issue with Kodi and HEVC, I'm coming for you "goodton" and "Brazen1" Wink
You did upgrade hardware. Your video card. It's the main component of any HTPC imo. My motherboard and CPU are about 10 years old. Those that prefer onboard graphics rely on motherboards and processors. You shouldn't be coming for us after installing 10. It will work. Bookmark this page. Make a system image of 7 in case you prefer WMC and want to revert simply and easily. I doubt you will though. With the new upgrade for W10 approaching, you will gain HDR video support soon also. Those that add in upcoming PDVD 17 for UHD coupled with a good native 4k display, W10 and Nvidia should be state of the art for a good while as I see it. Let us know how you like it if/when you upgrade.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-02-03, 02:46)brazen1 Wrote: You did upgrade hardware. Your video card. It's the main component of any HTPC imo. My motherboard and CPU are about 10 years old. Those that prefer onboard graphics rely on motherboards and processors. You shouldn't be coming for us after installing 10. It will work. Bookmark this page. Make a system image of 7 in case you prefer WMC and want to revert simply and easily. I doubt you will though. With the new upgrade for W10 approaching, you will gain HDR video support soon also. Those that add in upcoming PDVD 17 for UHD coupled with a good native 4k display, W10 and Nvidia should be state of the art for a good while as I see it. Let us know how you like it if/when you upgrade.

I was just messing with you about the "coming after you". Just trying to add a little levity. Sorry if you took offense.

I think for now, I will try to "upgrade" to Win 8.1, that's about as far forward as I can go and still retain the WMC / Cablecard scenario. Who knows how long HD Homerun will take to actually release? This way we can at least put this to bed, and if Win 8.1 doesn't fix it, at least I don't have to revert back to Win7.

The whole "system image" thing and restore, just seems too time consuming IMHO. It's like driving around in a circle, just to end up back to 7. I appreciate the suggestion though.
It takes about 10 mins for me to make a system image of my 256GB SSD backed up to another drive. It takes me another 10 mins to revert from it. I make them regularly cuz I screw my system often testing this, that and the other thing often. It's nice to be able to put it back exactly how I left it before testing something. I like that it's built into Windows and works perfectly without fail every single time. I don't see it as driving around in a circle. If you're undecided about something and apprehensive, system imaging gives you the flexibility to try something and the reliability to erase it as if it never happened.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I was just about to do the whole "System Image". Then I realized that I have "required files" on my D drive (I have a very small SSD for my OS so I moved the "Document/Music/etc" folders to my D drive to save space. Well the system image program wants to make a whole image of my D drive now, where I also have T.B.s of .mkv files. I don't have enough space on any disks to make the system image and I don't have enough space on the OS drive to place the /Documents/Music etc... folders back to.

Oh well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!0