Very loud pop at random when playing DTS-HD movies
So I have been experiencing something really weird with Kodi in my home theater.

Running off an HTPC with an nvidia gtx 980ti and I noticed that only when I play movies that use DTS-HD tracks I get a very loud pop at random, so loud that it could possibly damage speakers.

I have Kodi hooked up to my Marantz 8802 processor and I have never had this happen before. I use Wasapi instead of DirectSound because I can't get DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD through direct sound.

Whatever information you guys need me to provide please let me know and hopefully with your help I can resolve this issue.

Edit: forgot to mention I am on Kodi 16 not 17.
I have seen this before with a sound bar, there's a few messages around the forum relating to it, from what I can understand it has something to do with the audio threshold at one point. My solution was I got rid of the audio bar, use an AVR never had the issue again. Looking back at some of the forum messages, there doesn't seem to be one solid fix, some users have tweaked settings in their AVR or updated the AVR bios. I would suggest you go over these wiki's

Audio troubleshooting (wiki) Audio quickstart guide (wiki)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=190722

Suggestion: take 10% off the audio volume thershold and adjust with your amp to accommodate and see what does for you.
Thanks for the help PatK. I'll try that. However it's definitley related to either kodi or the pc I am using. I have been using a denon 3313 bluray player and the exact same settings on my amp are for both the player and the pc. No loud audio pops from the player.
Have you got Sync Playback to Display enabled? if so try disabling.
(2017-01-28, 20:27)jjd-uk Wrote: Have you got Sync Playback to Display enabled? if so try disabling.

I do have that enabled. Weird that should affect audio but it won't hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the input.
That setting tries to maintain sync by adjusting audio, to do this with passthrough audio then all we can do is dupe or drop packets to keep audio in sync with video. Your description fits with audio packets being dropped and your AVR not acting very kindly to Kodi doing this, it's for this reason in v17 passthrough is no longer possible when Sync Playback to Display is enabled.

If disabling Sync Playback to Display solves the popping problem but then gives you sync issues between audio and video you'll then have to try disabling passthrough audio so Kodi can resample to maintain sync.
(2017-01-28, 20:40)jjd-uk Wrote: That setting tries to maintain sync by adjusting audio, to do this with passthrough audio then all we can do is dupe or drop packets to keep audio in sync with video. Your description fits with audio packets being dropped and your AVR not acting very kindly to Kodi doing this, it's for this reason in v17 passthrough is no longer possible when Sync Playback to Display is enabled.

If disabling Sync Playback to Display solves the popping problem but then gives you sync issues between audio and video you'll then have to try disabling passthrough audio so Kodi can resample to maintain sync.

I went through an entire movie today without a single pop. Thank you so much for the help, disabled Sync Playback to Display and all was well. I didn't have any sync issues either with audio and video, honestly I don't recall why I had that enabled originally.
It may happen again when you update to Krypton. There is an audio setting there (System>Audio) to "Send low volume noise". Drove me nutz on a Samsung tablet until I turned it off. It's on by default.
(2017-01-29, 21:01)flhthemi Wrote: It may happen again when you update to Krypton. There is an audio setting there (System>Audio) to "Send low volume noise". Drove me nutz on a Samsung tablet until I turned it off. It's on by default.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind if I start hearing it again in Krypton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very loud pop at random when playing DTS-HD movies1