Req Kodi in Background
I use koi as my home media server. Basically I have a HDD full of videos. Jodi allows my family to watch stuff with the xobxone in my living room from my PC upstairs. This means Kodi has to be running on my PC. Is there a way to run it in the background so My kids can watch videos downstairs and I can use my computer upstairs?
No. Kodi is the media player, it is not a server that feeds other players. You must run kodi in the foreground to view videos with it.
There are a ton of ways to stream videos from a central location (file share or dlna server )... Not related to kodi.

Sent from my SM-G935U
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
There has been talk in the past of splitting Kodi into a backend/frontend application, but the current version cannot really do this.

Only think I can think of would be to run Plex server, which will run in the background and allow you to share content in the manner you want to. I use a mix of this as Kodi is more featured but Plex offers great cloud access to my library. Maybe its worth running both?
Perhaps I'm missing something, couldn't you put Kodi into window mode and then minimise? as long as the window is not focused then any input should be ignored.

Alternatively if you have Windows 10 then use the ability to have multiple desktops.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi in Background0