Android Kodi 17 on nvidia shield tv - frequent video freeze
I was quite surprised that Kodi updated to version 17 on my Nvidia Shield TV. I didn't (and still don't) see a notice that 17 for release.

Anyway, it's done. Unfortunately, I am experience frequent problems with playing back video. The video will just freeze, and the audio continues playing. This was never a problem with the previous version.
Workaround is to stop the playback and start again. I have to do that 6-7 times each on a 30 mins show.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Debug log?

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-02-05, 03:19)avandeputte Wrote: I was quite surprised that Kodi updated to version 17 on my Nvidia Shield TV. I didn't (and still don't) see a notice that 17 for release.

Anyway, it's done. Unfortunately, I am experience frequent problems with playing back video. The video will just freeze, and the audio continues playing. This was never a problem with the previous version.
Workaround is to stop the playback and start again. I have to do that 6-7 times each on a 30 mins show.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Got a shield 16GB 2017, kodi works fine here(maual install 64bit), I mainly play H264 Hi10p and HEVC. Do you have some sample so we can test it?
(2017-02-05, 14:10)DummyPLUG Wrote: Got a shield 16GB 2017, kodi works fine here(maual install 64bit), I mainly play H264 Hi10p and HEVC. Do you have some sample so we can test it?

I also have the shield 16GB 2017 model.

More info... This is all TV recordings from an HDHomerun tuner. It doesn't happen to all videos - I've watched a few hours of shows without any problems. It unfortunately happens with my kids' shows. Here is a sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8ugoX...Ed0MkMzb2s

I did run the video file through ts-doctor. It does report a lot of errors. Nevertheless 16.1 worked fine, maybe 17 got less tolerant of imperfect streams?

I'll try to figure out the whole debug log from a shield soon.

Thanks!
(2017-02-06, 02:59)avandeputte Wrote:
(2017-02-05, 14:10)DummyPLUG Wrote: Got a shield 16GB 2017, kodi works fine here(maual install 64bit), I mainly play H264 Hi10p and HEVC. Do you have some sample so we can test it?

I also have the shield 16GB 2017 model.

More info... This is all TV recordings from an HDHomerun tuner. It doesn't happen to all videos - I've watched a few hours of shows without any problems. It unfortunately happens with my kids' shows. Here is a sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8ugoX...Ed0MkMzb2s

I did run the video file through ts-doctor. It does report a lot of errors. Nevertheless 16.1 worked fine, maybe 17 got less tolerant of imperfect streams?

I'll try to figure out the whole debug log from a shield soon.

Thanks!

Downloaded and same problem here, happen at about 8:00, 11:25, 16:20, 19:10,25:50, 29:30
1. it happen on both KODI and MX player
2. it happen for both sw and hw decoding
3. for KODI hw decoding it take longer to resume the video, but never completely stop, it can pause for 30~60second before back to normal, it also skip a large part of it other then try to decode
4. for KODI sw decoding, MX player sw/hw+ decoding, it resume much faster
5. at 25:50, KODI hw sometime will rewind and keep looping withing this 1 min video, but it happen randomly
5. it happen for both internal for via netwotk

Here are the log, stop after first decoding error
KODI sw: http://pastebin.com/WFJgrrRF
KODI hw: http://pastebin.com/W88C4Atg
Thanks for your detailed testing and logs!

Anybody from the Kodi team able to take a look at the logs and determine the problem? (besides issue with the video, which I expect but can't be helped)
If you want to investigate further for these sorts of video playback problems on any platform.

Interrogate the Video files with a Program called MediaInfo:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

You will know exactly which types of files then are causing issues. Some 1080p mpeg2/h264 content could be Interlaced for example which is causing playback problems across a number of Kodi Krypton platforms when using mediacodec decoding. The Shield and Mi Box are two such examples.
Such Interlaced content will fail to be hardware decoded and fallback to ffmpeg Software decoding (and Software deinterlacing) using the machine's CPU. This may be too much of a workload for some devices and cause stuttering playback.

HINT: attach a Keyboard and press the "O" key > Select "Player Process Info" - to see if ff-mpeg2 or ff-h264 Software decoding is occurring.

I'm getting the same issue on Live TV recordings (TVHeadEnd + Nvidia Shield) using this build here: kodi-20170217-db72e8f-notsoshitty-armeabi-v7a.apk that solved my issue described here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=308496

Looking at the Player Process info, i get:

Video decoder: amc-mpeg2(HW)
Pixel format: surface
Deinterface method: hardware
video stream 544x576 px 1.78 AR, 25.000FPS
Audio Streams FL,FR, MP2, 16 bits, 48,000 Hz
System memory usage: 52%

as DummyPLUG describes, video freezes, audio carries on, video will then unfreeze after ~60 sec and sync perfectly.

is there anything i can do to stop this happening?
I've been doing some more testing...

it' not all recordings that are effected, the recordings that appear to be affected are being recorded from the same channel and the video is 544x576 - i'm going all retro and recording the A-team and Airwolf.
I believe there was a post about DVR Recording issues, and it had to do with interlaced TV shows. There was supposed to be a fix for it in 17.1 (not sure if this is your issue, but sounds similar).
(2017-03-11, 00:30)Powerhouse Wrote: I believe there was a post about DVR Recording issues, and it had to do with interlaced TV shows. There was supposed to be a fix for it in 17.1 (not sure if this is your issue, but sounds similar).
thanks, i have another search

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 on nvidia shield tv - frequent video freeze1