Kodi 17 Krypton - Unable to play videos
Try what?? LOL

OK I found the LibreELEC tool. I created a USB using LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.2.img.gz. I can boot from it but it brings me to a blue screen and wants to install. And now I'm confused. I assumed it was going to boot a live version of Kodi 17. Please advise Smile
OK I figured that out myself. I installed it to another USB and now it boots Kodi 17 to a live session. And yes, the video issue is still present. It does exactly the same using LibreELEC as it did from the actual install of Linux Mint 17.3 and Kodi 17.0.
I tried the same thing. I can't seem to find a way to go back to 16.1
Hello , i dont know if it is a good idea , but in section parameters , it seems it is possible to change the video player .

try to see a video after changing the video player can solve the issue...

if you found anything about downgrading to kodi 16.1 please tell us how to do please , i ' m using linux mint 18 and want to downgrade too .
Hey there,

I do have a way to revert back to Kodi 16.1. The only problem is it results in a complete loss of information. You will lose all settings, addons, and library entries. If someone knows of a better way to revert back please update my post. I have tried this method in both Mint 17.3 and 18.1 and had no issues with either.

WARNING: FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN DATA LOSS!

First, open up the "Update Manager". Click "Edit", and "Software Sources", you will be asked for your password. On the left, click the button marked "PPA" and you will see two entries for Kodi: "team-XBMC" and "team-XBMC (sources)". Uncheck them both, and then click the "update the cache" button on the upper right. Wait a few seconds for it to finish and then close both windows.

Next open a terminal window. Run the following command:

sudo apt-get remove kodi*

Hit "y" when asked and then "enter". Run the following command:

sudo apt-get purge kodi*

Hit "y" when asked and then "enter". Those two commands have now removed Kodi 17.0. Run the following command:

rm -r ~/.kodi/

This command removes the .kodi directory from your home folder. If you skip this step, to my knowledge, you will have issues running Kodi 16.1 due to conflicting settings. Sadly this is where your library is too.

Now lets put Kodi 16.1 back. Run the following command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old

Press "enter" when asked to add the PPA. Run the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

Press "y" when asked and then "enter". And your done. Kodi 16.1 is now back.
hello , i ' ve done the same things but not doing the
Code:
rm -r ~/.kodi/
keep yours personnal parameter Tongue

so your configuration is saved .
I find it interesting that the devs of Kodi seem to be in such a rush to abandon hardware that worked so well in previous versions.

I installed Kodi 17 to only get a flickering screen . Reading here on threads I concluded maybe I need to go from ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, no more flickering screen but no video playback. however now the truth is being revealed that they are abandoning perfectly good hardware that worked in the last version and from what I read here and elsewhere.

Maybe we should just buy disposable preloaded andriod boxes seems to be the statement this makes. oh that's right they hate those boxes (supposedly??), so then where does that leave us ? Should we just plan on buying a new PC every few releases of kodi?
Agreed man, this is a little ridiculous. I'm running 16.1 again. Everything works as it should and I'm happy. I won't be upgrading the rest of my PC's or devices. Turns out my Android box is no longer supported either and it's only a year old. Sad that they have abandoned hardware and features that worked so well in the past.

I'd like to close this thread but I have no idea how. My thanks to fritsch for pointing out my hardware was not supported.
(2017-02-12, 22:12)tekno Wrote: I find it interesting that the devs of Kodi seem to be in such a rush to abandon hardware that worked so well in previous versions.

I installed Kodi 17 to only get a flickering screen . Reading here on threads I concluded maybe I need to go from ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, no more flickering screen but no video playback. however now the truth is being revealed that they are abandoning perfectly good hardware that worked in the last version and from what I read here and elsewhere.

Maybe we should just buy disposable preloaded andriod boxes seems to be the statement this makes. oh that's right they hate those boxes (supposedly??), so then where does that leave us ? Should we just plan on buying a new PC every few releases of kodi?

The moment someone forces you to upgrade - you might need to do that, but nobody does. Kodi v17 (with VAAPI) might have issues on hw generations lower than SNB (Sandybridge), which is now more than 6 years old. So the hw problematic with this 2017 release now is 7+ years old. All newer generations run perfectly fine. So your stance about: "new hardware with every kodi release" is wrong for at least 6 years or roughly 6 releases ... Everyone with SNB or later having issues, has too old drivers.

Edit: Curious if you find a single (1) Android HW 7 years old that even gets Android 5 support.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi

I updated to Krypton and found issues with video playback. Playing a video would crash KODI and bring it back to the homescreen.

Having read the forum, I switched off the hardware acceleration and videos now play as expected.

KODI reports the graphics as Mesa DRI Intel® Haswell

OpenGL: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3

Is there any way I can update the driver so that I can reactivate the HW acceleration?

Thanks!

S.
Post me:

1) your Debug Log with the crash, prior do: sudo apt-get install gdb
2) the output of:

dpkg -l |grep mesa
vainfo

please.

HSW is perfectly fine - I am running that myself.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-02-11, 19:56)fritsch Wrote: Basically you had luck that Jarvis worked on it ... Btw. what do you see on screen when you play a video? Is it just completely black?

I upgraded to ver. 17.0 this weekend. Upon playing videos, the screen was completely black with sound. This happened to all of my videos. I googled around and noticed that it was an issue with hardware acceleration. I'm using an intel i5 based gigabyte brix.

So I went to the video settings and disabled the main hardware acceleration and it played fine. However, I wanted hardware acceleration for its benefits so troubleshot by playing around enabling and disabling some of the options under hardware acceleration and found that the culprit was hardware acceleration for vc-1 codecs. So I still have hardware acceleration with VAAPI for the other codecs. It's been working fine so far.
This is nothing new. VC-1 interlaced does not work with VAAPI and result will be a black screen.

For more information and bug fixing posting the Debug Log is mandatory also in combination with the output of vainfo.
fritsch,

Actually, it wasn't the vc-1 hardware acceleration. My apologies for the misinformation. It was rather disabling "Prefer VAAPI render method" that makes the black screen disappear and working fine.

Either way here's the log file. Maybe you can shed some insight. Thanks.

Output of vainfo:

error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=i965
vaInitialize failed with error code 1 (operation failed),exit

Log file: http://pastebin.com/BqUxRLwt
I am having the same problem after upgrading to Kodi 17. The system gets hanged and I can do nothing. I noticed that something really weird, the compiling info are incorrect. Check the attached photo and log file.

log file:
http://pastebin.ca/3767496

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 Krypton - Unable to play videos0