• 28(current)
KCleaner (Clean up temporary files & other stuff)
(2020-06-11, 20:27)rocko Wrote: did he close his account or did a moderator.

He closed his account himself.
Moderators cannot do that.
That's to bad, I use this addon a lot to keep my thumbnails cleaned up.
I was hoping he would have a new version for kodi 19.
Yes, sadly some kind of conflict seems to have occurred with a Team Kodi member about a github issue. Pity that these type of things seem to happen. Losing active developers is not helpful towards the overall Kodi project.

But he has his own repo, so I'm hoping the addon will still be supported.

It's really the simplest addon for easily keeping Kodi cleaned up
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
To explain a little - he tried to submit an addon to our repo through an issue report, which is a legacy method we no longer really support (as it's a pain to track versioning etc and maintain dialogue).

Our normal and preferred route to do such submissions is via a GitHub fork, and when he was asked to do that he refused (claiming he didn't want to learn how to use GitHub) and got somewhat abusive in the issue thread where the discussion was occurring. Due to this (and this alone) the issue was closed. He complained in a thread here, and seemingly didn't like the response here either leading to him throwing his toys from the pram and both closing his account here and deleting his repo on his website.

So I would strongly doubt he will support any issues or make any future updates. All of his addons and repo must therefore be considered unsupported and orphaned, and if they break then as being permanently broken.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Is there any other addon similar to his?
There are addons that do similar things, but in my opinion, none that do it so simply and conveniently.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
(2020-06-12, 12:44)DarrenHill Wrote: Our normal and preferred route to do such submissions is via a GitHub fork, and when he was asked to do that he refused (claiming he didn't want to learn how to use GitHub) and got somewhat abusive in the issue thread where the discussion was occurring. Due to this (and this alone) the issue was closed. He complained in a thread here, and seemingly didn't like the response here either leading to him throwing his toys from the pram and both closing his account here and deleting his repo on his website.

Unfortunately, the choice of words says more about you than it says about him. In the past we have seen too much of that "Off with their heads" attitude rather than work with those who help make the project better for all of us by adding functionality that core refuses to include.
I just state facts.

He closed his account and deleted his repo of his own free will.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Either way, it seems that sadly we have lost KCleaner, which overall is a loss for both Kodi and the community too.

It would be great if someone could pick this project up for future support Nod
There is a certain cleaning and backup Wizard addon that may be a simple replacement for KCleaner, but I'm not sure if I can mention it here - the Official Banned list states "All Wizards" are banned.

@DarrenHill can you please confirm?
@jmh2002 - It depends which one you mean. If you want to clarify specifically, either post here or PM me and I'll let you know.

Generally speaking we err on the side of caution in such cases, especially where there is either a risk of severe damage to the user system if things are used incorrectly, or where too much is going on under the hood without the users knowledge or consent. The latter tends to be the wizards relating to piracy policy (wiki) violations, whereas the former are more the clean-up addons. The wizard ban is more for the piracy related stuff.

As most of them require/use direct database access rather than via the API, they cannot be accepted into the official repo anyway. However if they are otherwise legitimate then we allow them to have threads here (as was the case with this addon). But of course there are potential risks there if things do go wrong, in the worst case the database can be destroyed or the device rendered inoperable. That's why we take great care around such addons, whilst acknowledging that if used correctly they are useful and have a place in the toolbox.

Kodi Blog Posts
I PM'd you, thanks Smile
And I've replied, but I'll summarise below.

Basically the answer would be no, as whilst the addon would be a good candidate for usage, it includes explicit support for a number of banned addons (wiki) and through that it would not be allowed. We have no desire to allow anything which makes the support and operation of devices in violation of our piracy policy (wiki) easier.

Kodi Blog Posts
I thought that might be the case. Thanks for checking Nod
Perhaps if someone has a copy of KCleaner (and the licence permits it) they could create a github account to host it and get it uploaded.  From there it could then be forked/fixed/improved etc (again, assuming the licence allows that).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KCleaner (Clean up temporary files & other stuff)2