v16 Raspberry Pi 3 - Intermittent skipping on high quality audio
Hi everyone,

I recently got myself a Raspberry Pi and installed OpenElec /Kodi 16 on it. I also have some high resolution FLAC audio (surround) which I have been playing via the Pi and my Denon receiver connected via HDMI.
If I play the audio via a usb key - then there are no issues. But recently I got a 3TB seagate expansion hard drive. The hard drive is connected to the Pi via a 5V 4A powered USB hub. The only other used USB slot on the Pi is for a bluetooth dongle for a thumb keyboard.

Problem is: music keeps skipping every few seconds - making it unlistenable. Is this possibly because the hard drive isn't fast enough (5400 RPM) to supply the high bandwidth audio files?

Any ideas if this can be rectified via an advanced settings file or changing the setup a little bit? Or any other suggestions?
I would start by changing the hardware first to see if its possible to play on for example a windows pc.

It could be the CPU on the PI or the storage speed, it will need more testing.
Thanks docwra. I have already done that. It plays fine on my PC. Also, It plays fine on the Pi if the file is on a USB stick which is basically solid state memory. Which is why I suspect its the hard drive.
Try:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<network>
</advancedsettings>

.. in your advancedsettings.xml file in userdata. It sets a buffer active for files in addition to internet connections.
Hey graham-h,

Thanks!! I was mulling doing that based on my readings on some other forums. And it seems to have worked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 3 - Intermittent skipping on high quality audio0