Cryptic numbers in each music category?
Question 
Could someone tell me how I can get rid of these numbers that appear in every music category (2dbd4159-1b0e-425b-9565-e39456789...)? There are definitively no ID3 tags of that sort within my collection…

If this has been answered before or is even in some FAQs, please point me to it. Thanks a lot!
Those are Musicbrainz Ids, that they appearing as artist names means that there definitely are tags with that value in your music files!

Moreover there is a mismatch between the number of mbids tags and the number artist names, hence Kodi uses the mbid as an indication that something has gone miss in the tag processing, and generally that the tagging need correcting.

Start with reading this http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
Use a tagging tool that shows you all the tags e.g. Picard or Mp3tag, and get that tagging sorted.

BTW it is not about removing the MBid tags, they have a use, but it is about tagging accurately. How did you do your tagging previously? Oh and what version of Kodi are you using?
Thank you, DaveBlake. I will read that Wiki.

And yes, I did tag with MusicBrainz Picard using Internet databases before I manually overwrote (or thought so at least) all major tags like Artist, Album, Title, Track with the software MP3Tag. MP3Tag does not show any Musicbrainz IDs, that's why I initially stated that there were no such tags in my collection. But that may be a configuration fault on my side.... I'll look into it.

I use Kodi 17.1 RC1 under Windows 10 as app.
Mp3Tag will show all the tags, use ALT+ T to bring up the extended tag view for selected items, or you can even edit the columns shown.

Why on earth tag with Picard (what I assume you mean by "with MusicBrainz using Internet databases"), and then manually change all the major tagsHuh This will lead to a total mess if you leave mis-matched mbid tags behind, not a good way to start.
All filenames are named Artist - Album - Track – Title.

The file names must be the basis for the ID3 Tags as I invested a decent amount of time adjusting them to my needs. The Musicbrainz database is impressive, but in this case, I want it to only provide additional information such as Genre and Cover Art.

As I did not find an option in Kodi to not use (specific) Musicbrainz IDs, I erased them from all files and it works much better now.
Tagging with mbids or not is of course your choice, but I will say several things for those that may read this later:

Having Musicbrainz Id tags in your music files has 2 uses:
a) It is the only way to have individual artists with the same name in your library - name is not unique.
b) It makes scraping of additional artist and album information and art work both more efficient and accurate. If your music does not have them then the scraper tries to fetch the mbid from Musicbrainz every time it scrapes, using just name so can identify incorrectly, and increasing server traffic so more timeouts occurr for everyone.

But if you do have mbid tags in your music files then they need to be consistent and complete for any albums that you tag that way. If they are present then Kodi uses them. The common error is when users manually edit their artist tags, and overlook that where matching mbid tags. Kodi tries to match these up as best it can, but if you see musicbrainz ids as artist names it is a clear sign that inconsistent tagging has confused the process.
Basically you still have MB tags in your files, they are just hidden from normal taggers like mp3tag.

You can right click >> remove the tag completely in mp3tag, then re-tag from the filename. This will clean up your collection.

Personally I would recommend picard though as its much easier than doing it manually.
(2017-02-28, 17:08)docwra Wrote: Basically you still have MB tags in your files, they are just hidden from normal taggers like mp3tag.
Like I said Mp3tag can show them, they just don't appear on the mainscreen display by default. And there are scripts for Mp3Tag that fetch mbid tags from Musicbrainz, Picard is not the only mbid enabled tool.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cryptic numbers in each music category?0