Kodi for ATV1 (sorry.... newbie!!!)
I know, I know... not supported anymore... just found my old ATV1 and thought I could do something with it... and it seems it IS possible.. but it has been years since I did anything with it. It is currently running XBMC through crystalbuntu so it seems like there is a way to transition to kodi.... but I am SO lost. I will say NEWBIE simply because clearly I haven't touched this 3.5 years and don't seem to remember any of this stuff haha.

I read another post which seemed to explain it but the poster wasn't running crystalbuntu so it seemed like there were a bunch of steps that I wouldn't need to do to transition..then where i thought there would be a DL file.... the link took me over to the OSMC fourms.. but not to a specific thread. is there a step by step guide to do this somewhere and I have just missed it?

I'm so sorry in advance for being the a-hole to ask what is seemingly a likely very stupid question to most of you hereAngel

Warm regards
Jena
Jena,

They will probably move this to the AppleTV area but, in answer to you're question I currently have 4 AppleTV 1's and have tried the two most current distributions openElec and OSMC (built by Sam Nazarko who previously designed Crystalbuntu) and can tell you that after testing both, I am sold on chewitts "unofficial" openElec build 6.0.1 found here:

http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/

Now if you were using crystalbuntu I will presume your atv1 is already modified with the Broadcom CHD video decoder card (instead of the original wireless card).

Again having used both distros (both are installed via a usb patchstick) chewitts openelec build is much more stable and uses less cpu and especially ram than the osmc build (ram is gold for atv1s as they only have 256 mb soldered in).

The link I provided has the download links for the patchstick images and a link to the "unofficial" openelec forum thread for it which due to the lack of active atv1 users has little action.

Note that as described in chewitts post there, his build can only use Kodi Isengard due to the Jarvis and newer having major issues with the chd drivers compiled in.

In a nutshell use the openelec setup to maximize the use of your atv1 . As I said I currently run 4 of them and have switched all of them to this setup, like all things once you get used to it, it works pretty slick.

I can try to help out where I can with any questions, there are a few things you can do with the advancedsettings.xml file that speed up the gui etc.

Good luck! It's worth it in the end.

EDIT: in rereading your post, it looks like you are looking to update your crystalbuntu setup with Kodi. Not gonna happen. you'll need to update your whole system to openelec or osmc to run Kodi with the CHD drivers compiled in. This is what I am referring to. It's worth it IMO.
Another option is to just get a newer Android box on Amazon. I had an older Android box running 4.4 so I couldn't upgrade to Kodi 17. I spent some time trying to figure out how to upgrade the OS but in the end, I just spent $50 for a new box running newer Android. It was MUCH simpler than slogging through an upgrade.

How much is your time worth?
(2017-03-23, 02:44)JumperJeff Wrote: Another option is to just get a newer Android box on Amazon. I had an older Android box running 4.4 so I couldn't upgrade to Kodi 17. I spent some time trying to figure out how to upgrade the OS but in the end, I just spent $50 for a new box running newer Android. It was MUCH simpler than slogging through an upgrade.

How much is your time worth?

Obviously I misread the topic. Now I see it asks "what device should I get to replace my ATV1".
I'll "release" an install with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis soon. (It's finished) Just needs a little more testing first.. It's my final goodbye to the old fella and gift for whoever still owns an Apple TV 1.

Installation takes 5min and you'll be rebooting to a really optimized set top box like version of Kodi, just like OSMC and OE.

There will be a few small surprises and a few big ones, espescially when it comes to performance.. Smile
Smile 
(2017-03-24, 22:15)Soli Wrote: I'll "release" an install with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis soon. (It's finished) Just needs a little more testing first.. It's my final goodbye to the old fella and gift for whoever still owns an Apple TV 1.

Installation takes 5min and you'll be rebooting to a really optimized set top box like version of Kodi, just like OSMC and OE.

There will be a few small surprises and a few big ones, espescially when it comes to performance.. :)

Soli, well now that certainly peaks my interest! Let me know if you need any testing etc as like I said I have 4 of them all with CHD chips in them. One is used just for testing and I can set it up pretty much instantly and test while the family etc uses the other 3 while bugs etc are being worked out.

If it is nearly as efficient as chewitts OE 6.01 running Isengard linked above but running Jarvis that will really be a boon as far as addon compatibility etc!

Thanks so much and I look forward to testing it if indeed it comes to fruition.

P.S. I have all weekend available for testing ;)
I'm testing one final thing then maybe I can send it out for some betatesting. The reason is simply that this is a one-off thing. I am not going offering any support so I just want it to "work" at first try. (Will prolly answer some questions tho)
maybe I'll send you a pm. All this stuff on the atv takes ages..

As for performance, it's about 10 times better. .

Yes, It will come to fruition. I have an installer image ready.

You will be very very happy soonSmile
Awesome Soli ! If I can get my hands on it and it works as advertised I am happy to help other atv 1 users if they have questions that I can answer.

I do have some experience previously testing software (handbrake, atvcloner etc. ).

Thanks again!
(2017-03-24, 23:02)Soli Wrote: As for performance, it's about 10 times better. .
I see chewitt credits you on helping with his openelec build. Given that I am very interested to give it a spin. Thanks again.
Not that much. Just some suggestions and helped testing a bit. It works great with some caveats, but in the end OE is limited by the low memory footprint of the apple tv.
Be interesting to see how your build fares. Agreed that the 256 mb memory footprint is tiny.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for ATV1 (sorry.... newbie!!!)0