Win Kodi 17.1 Installation problem with KB971644 Vista x86
So how do I install this update? I'm running Windows Vista x64 and trying to install Kodi version 17.3 Stable.

I could not find any download link for KB971644

I've gone through this sort of thing before under Vista with another update necessary to perform software installation was only available from "Windows Update" where it is not listed.

The Powershell command "Get-HotFix -Id KB971644 "

Shows no KB971644 is installed

You first need to run "Powershell" which displays a PS prompt.

Get-HotFix : This command cannot find hot-fix on the machine 'localhost'. Verify the input and Run your command again.
At line:1 char:11
+ Get-HotFix <<<< -Id KB971644
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Smile [Get-HotFix], ArgumentExcept
ion
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetHotFixNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Com
mands.GetHotFixCommand
I have the same issue on Vista 64 bit. KB971644 Is installed, but not detected by the installer. I've tried reapplying the components which all indicate they've been installed.

Does 17.3 fix this or are we stuck with Jarvis for a while longer?
Hello Noobynuts...

I just want to draw your attention to this article...

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v18-goodbye-windows-vista

It might be time to upagrade? No pressure, just a suggestion Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodi 17.1 RC1 runs just fine under Vista without any problems.
(2017-05-27, 02:11)User-3023 Wrote: Kodi 17.1 RC1 runs just fine under Vista without any problems.

Upgrade the OS. Ok if you send me the money for a new PC and OS I'll gladly upgrade. I've been upgrading PCs for more than 40 years, no ones ever re-immersed me for all the time and money spent upgrading.

Your comments are uncalled for and not required. My post was not directed at you and was posted to convey "information" not an "instruction" as I stated with the last four words in my post.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodi 17.1 RC1 runs just fine under Vista without any problems. It seems if running Kodi 17.3 under Vista Vista requires an update, which doesn't appear to be available as a downloadable update, apparently requires to be installed via Windows Update.

There are Vista updates that apparently are closer in development to Windows 8 and Windows 10. However MS hasn't always made it easy to install some of these updates as some can only be found through Windows Update.

Vista is no longer supported by MS so there may no downloadable update for certain types of development that was halted because of the end of Vista Support and development.
I have no idea what you are trying to imply.

IF you had read the post, you will see that it related to Kodi v18. I was merely implying that in 8-9 months time if users wanted to stay current, they would need to update some hardware/software, why not consider that update sooner than later.

NO I am not sending you money. What a moronic thing to say!!!

I don't care what you use. That is entirely your decision!! But.. you are the one here having problems seeking help.
My Signature
I pulled out an ol, unused computer to run Kodi. I'd rather not spend the money to upgrade the OS, though I realize the time is coming. I would just ask that then developers take a look at this big as it seems to have affected more than just one person.
(2017-06-03, 06:43)Noobynuts Wrote: I pulled out an ol, unused computer to run Kodi. I'd rather not spend the money to upgrade the OS, though I realize the time is coming. I would just ask that then developers take a look at this big as it seems to have affected more than just one person.
The developers (I am not one) have taken a look at it and have reached the conclusion that the problem is caused by a faulty windows installation. This is absolutely correct, and is not something kodi devs are responsible for or can fix.

Fact is that the update mentioned is needed for correct kodi operation, so not checking would be negligent.

If your computer is unable to correctly report on the install state of updates, then you need to fix that.

Alternatively, you should be able to install Kodi in Xp compatibility mode, but your computer would remain broken.

As far as kodi continuing to support vista in future versions, that's absolutely laughable. Vista currently comprises less than 1 percent of OS installs, and falling, and it would be insane to make allowances for it.
(2017-06-03, 06:43)Noobynuts Wrote: I pulled out an ol, unused computer to run Kodi. I'd rather not spend the money to upgrade the OS, though I realize the time is coming. I would just ask that then developers take a look at this big as it seems to have affected more than just one person.

Just to clarify, the topic of this thread is "Kodi 17.1 Installation problems with KB971644 Vista x86"

Kodi Krypton runs just fine under Vista which requires a Windows update before running to more recent version 17.3. Later Kodi versions however, from what I've ascertained, Vista will no longer be supported.

Sometimes fixes aren't just a matter of changing a few lines of code. Also Kodi AFAIK doesn't really have any official Windows OS version requirements. So there are no Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and higher versions being developed.
I have the same issue, even with the 17.4-RC1.

So finally, is there a solution, or not ?

And don't tell us to install Gnu-Linux, please. Big Grin
(2017-08-12, 01:47)E-Gwen Wrote: I have the same issue, even with the 17.4-RC1.

So finally, is there a solution, or not ?

And don't tell us to install Gnu-Linux, please. Big Grin

Probably not. Try backing up to an earlier version

Version 17.1-RC1 works great with my Windows Vista x64 installation. I had problems trying to install version 17.3. Kept receiving an error message that Platform Update for Windows (KB971644) is required. I wasn't able to install Windows KB971644 platform update and stuck with a the 17.3-RC1 version.

Below are some links to the change logs with some of Kodi's fixes and upgrades. Is there a particular reason why your trying to upgrade?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)_changelog

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v173-minor-...ty-release

Newest version is Kodi v18 (Leia) http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v18_(Leia)_changelog
Yes, of course, I installed 17.1-rc1 version anew.

The particular reason I want to upgrade is that there is a big bug with the PS2 pad regarding the volume.

The global reason is whether Kodi 17.3 is available, some bugs have been fixed, and I am concerned.

It's very simple, isn't it ?

"Probably not. Try backing up to an earlier version" : is that a joke ?

I hope the Kodi team will give us a true solution, for example, by giving the way to download the patch KB971644 for Vista independantly.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards.
I would say perhaps not all that simple, if you look at the past and present development of XBMC and Kodi.

XBMC programming lanuages

C 59.7%
C++ 33.7%
Shell 2.2%
Assembly 1.8%
Objective-C 1.1%
Other 1.5%

AFAIK, Kodi core programming language is C++. Other programming languages may be used for other versions of Kodi.

Kodi includes a built-in Python interpreter that allows users to develop add-ons (scripts and plugins) that interface easily and cleanly with the Kodi dashboard.

Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and other Windows software development. I suspect any development testing for Kodi is most likely under Windows 7 or higher.

Upgrading development of an application may involve adding on new features, functions capabilities which sometimes conflicts with an OS older features, functions and capabilities. Which may or may not include certain programming language modules that may or may not be compatible with certain versions of Windows.
(2017-08-12, 15:56)E-Gwen Wrote: Yes, of course, I installed 17.1-rc1 version anew.

The particular reason I want to upgrade is that there is a big bug with the PS2 pad regarding the volume.

The global reason is whether Kodi 17.3 is available, some bugs have been fixed, and I am concerned.

It's very simple, isn't it ?

"Probably not. Try backing up to an earlier version" : is that a joke ?

I hope the Kodi team will give us a true solution, for example, by giving the way to download the patch KB971644 for Vista independantly.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards.

Yes, but I don't believe a KB971644 patch is available from Microsoft as Vista is no longer supported by MS. After searching I found KB971644 can be only installed through Windows Vista Windows Update. For various reasons it's not available as a stand alone update. This is true of several other Vista KB patches or updates I've come across which may require other KB patches & updates to be installed. I haven't found a way to make it available for Vista Windows Updates.

I found a couple of methods to verified certain KB patches/ are installed.

One is using MS Powershell

Command line:

Powershell

PS prompt: Get-HotFix -Id KB971644

If not installed you will receive an error message something like

Get-HotFix : This command cannot find hot-fix on the machine 'localhost'. Verif
y the input and Run your command again.
At line:1 char:11
+ Get-HotFix <<<< -Id KB971644
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Smile [Get-HotFix], ArgumentExcept
ion
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetHotFixNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Com
mands.GetHotFixCommand

Another method is to use MS wmic

at an Admin Command Prompt

type wmic which produces a

wmic:root\cli> (prompt)

Then type QFE get

then enter using control-V or a past function

wmic:root\cli>/output:C:\InstallList.txt QFE get

Which for me was displayed on the screen of which I copied and pasted to a searchable txt file.

More information can be found http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-get-li...mment-7595

---------------

I'm not familiar with PS2 pads. Problems with PS2 pad volume may be better address by modifying or configuring the PS2 pad directly and not by changing a whole application. Possibly Kodi development could make their PS2 pad volume fix backwards compatible, or perhaps there's another reason why it can't be.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.1 Installation problem with KB971644 Vista x860