[Solved] No Pictures Library, only Music and Videos
(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: Are there plans to fix this?

No plans. There is nothing to fix if there is nothing there.

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: SW architecture has to fit USER needs, not voluntary, random, traditional or other soft technical limitations, right?

Well... You must be the fun guy at parties. Telling and yelling what other people should do the first moment you step into the room. Smile

About technical limitations: try writing software the works on "everything". It has to work on a x86-64 PC running Windows, Linux or OSX, on Android TVs from reputable companies to the cheapest boxes coming from the Asian regions, and also on Raspberry Pi's that only have 512MB onboard. Try displaying 3-4GB photos on devices with barely 256MB free memory.

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: So: No library for pictures ? Build one.

Team Kodi isn't the large development team you may think it is right now. Two team members left last year.
One hand of fingers, maybe two hands sometimes, should be enough to indicate the core dev size.
We're also not a 9-5hr dedicated company. All Team Kodi members sacrifice their free spare time for the project.

The current pictures add-on mentioned in the previous posts is a 3rd party solution. That's out of our hands.

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: Once you integrate that picture library feature to the core, there is a chance it can easily inherit the DLNA capability, right?
TXs and cheers

Sure. How soon can you provide the initial code for the pictures library? Smile
I can see the benefits of having a "library" for pictures.  But as documented with the music library, there are performance issues with how SQL databases are implemented in Kodi.  I am concerned that simply adding a new database for pictures without some re-work of the architecture/design would result in user frustration over performance.

scott s.
I appreciate the seniority that speaks from Scott's reply.
If I were 30 or 40 years younger I would offer adding development skills and efforts - today I only can promise testing (with > 100,000 photos) and conceptual discussions.
(2019-02-04, 15:53)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: Are there plans to fix this?

No plans. There is nothing to fix if there is nothing there. mbe57: you are thinking code, I am thinking usability and concept first, which deserve a "fix" and will make Kodi stronger and more consistent.

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: SW architecture has to fit USER needs, not voluntary, random, traditional or other soft technical limitations, right?

Well... You must be the fun guy at parties. Telling and yelling what other people should do the first moment you step into the room. Smile

mbe57: once you have suffered years and years of "works as designed" and similar BS in SW industry, you might get straight to the point, too. In particular with the mood and style you are showing in your replies already today :-)  (BTW: no problem with that - in fact it's kind oif fun)

About technical limitations: try writing software the works on "everything". It has to work on a x86-64 PC running Windows, Linux or OSX, on Android TVs from reputable companies to the cheapest boxes coming from the Asian regions, and also on Raspberry Pi's that only have 512MB onboard. Try displaying 3-4GB photos on devices with barely 256MB free memory.

mbe57: I read a number of forum entzries from recent years first before I posted. And with the "picture database" plugin that seems at hand you are nearly there. I suppose the inner Kodi community knows each other, so this third party may be someone to talk to ?

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: So: No library for pictures ? Build one.

Team Kodi isn't the large development team you may think it is right now. Two team members left last year.
One hand of fingers, maybe two hands sometimes, should be enough to indicate the core dev size.
We're also not a 9-5hr dedicated company. All Team Kodi members sacrifice their free spare time for the project.

The current pictures add-on mentioned in the previous posts is a 3rd party solution. That's out of our hands.

(2019-02-04, 15:04)mbe57 Wrote: Once you integrate that picture library feature to the core, there is a chance it can easily inherit the DLNA capability, right?
TXs and cheers

Sure. How soon can you provide the initial code for the pictures library? Smile

mbe57: let's convince this third party to contribute and get a stronger Kodi in return. Do you know this other party ? 
Perhaps it's me, but putting replies inside one big quote doesn't make things easier to read.
Ripping apart into 5 quotes/replies would also rip apart the logic. So maybe there is no perfect solution - or can you educate me with one ?
Use colored crayon to have your replies stand out more? Smile
(2019-02-04, 23:08)scott967 Wrote: I can see the benefits of having a "library" for pictures.  But as documented with the music library, there are performance issues with how SQL databases are implemented in Kodi.  I am concerned that simply adding a new database for pictures without some re-work of the architecture/design would result in user frustration over performance.

scott s.

Would it be possible to at least show a message to that effect when attempting to display folders served by DLNA?   I've spent a lot of frustrating time trying to figure out why, when I click on a folder that I know holds photos Kodi just recurses between the folder and it's parent no matter how many times I click it or re-add the source.    In other words, your confusing choice to display the folder with no chance of the contents working did not save this user any frustration.
If you using libreELEC, you can use the miniDLNA addon, is supporting pictures.  ×

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] No Pictures Library, only Music and Videos0