How to use IR remote to navigate on screen keyboard?
Sad 
Dear forum.

I managed to get an old Philips IR remote to work with Kodi. Albeit only the arrow keys sofar, however, I do 'get' how it works now so I can easily expand the possible buttons to my needs.

My 'need' is to get Kodi working with only, and I mean only, an IR remote. No (wireless) keyboard, no mouse, no USB device. Only the remote.

After much searching and reading how to implement this I managed to get this remote to work, Lircd.conf, remote.xml,Lircmap.xml, I found them all and changed accordingly.

My current problem is as follows: I added youtube to Kodi. When I hit 'search' A pop-up virtual on screen keyboard is shown. Here the remote ends. With a mouse attached I can navigate through the keyboard and enter a search key. Alas Not with my remote.
I know this is just something I have to map in the translation files, but I was unable to find the right example or explanation.

Hope you can educate me! (or point me to a solution I could not find thus far)

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2B (yep old, but not as old as my 1B :-)   )
Latest raspbian 12 'bookworm'
latest Kodi 20.2.0

I Installed Raspbian 1st, then Kodi. So no libreelec or OSMC

I tried adding a 'virtualkeyboard.xml' in the ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps directory with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <virtualkeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <left>Left</left>
      <right>Right</right>
    </keyboard>
  </virtualkeyboard>
</keymap>

I hoped I then could navigate left and right with the arrow keys on the remote (like a mouse pointer). If that would work I could then expand with the other up/down keys etc
but ALAS  :-( This did not work. In the kodi.log I do see it popping up as installed.

Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to use IR remote to navigate on screen keyboard?0