Help me please to decide on upgrade
Hi all
I'm still looking to upgrade my intel dn2820 with something newer . I've read the sticky but still can't decide. My needs/set up is-

Looking for 4K compatible (not fussed re HDR as don't have any material)
Full surround sound
Ideally something just for kodi

Current set up is through a non 4K receiver to a 4K HDR oled tv.

If new box has optical out I could wire that to receiver then hdmi to tv for 4K but understand it would be capable of Dolby hd etc - that would be temporary until funds allow to upgrade receiver .
A large internal hard drive would be great for my local content but I could get a portable hdd.

Was looking at apollo lake nuc but that appears buggy still ? Vero possibly ? Shield ?
Any advice from you ladies and gents with more knowledge greatly appreciated.
Jamie
(AMLogic S905(x) - Vero 4K, due to having OSMC/Linux/Kodi Auto resolution switching.
Starting steps have been taken as well for 4K HDR support on AML S905(x) / S912 Linux based platforms.

Otherwise wait till all the Intel "Lake" series HDMI problems are properly sorted out and bedded down.

You likely want a box with Auto Resolution switching to make sure your OLED TV does the 1080p > 4K video upscaling using its superior upscaling Hardware capabilities and not the media player's upscaling hardware. Only Auto switch to 4K when playing actual 4K content.

99% of Android Boxes (excluding the Fire TV2) do not do Auto Resolution switching.

Don't spend thru the nose on a box just for an internal Hard drive - save your $$ and do it right with an external NAS.
Also Optical output cannot do HD Audio passthrough.

(2017-06-05, 18:10)wrxtasy Wrote: (AMLogic S905(x) - Vero 4K, due to having OSMC/Linux/Kodi Auto resolution switching.
Starting steps have been taken as well for 4K HDR support on AML S905(x) / S912 Linux based platforms.

Otherwise wait till all the Intel "Lake" series HDMI problems are properly sorted out and bedded down.

You likely want a box with Auto Resolution switching to make sure your OLED TV does the 1080p > 4K video upscaling using its superior upscaling Hardware capabilities and not the media player's upscaling hardware. Only Auto switch to 4K when playing actual 4K content.

99% of Android Boxes (excluding the Fire TV2) do not do Auto Resolution switching.

Don't spend thru the nose on a box just for an internal Hard drive - save your $$ and do it right with an external NAS.
Also Optical output cannot do HD Audio passthrough.

Thanks very much for the clear reply . I may wait a short while and hopefully the intel lake issues will be sorted. I can't fault the nuc I have other than its lack of 4K but my knowledge is basic.

Or would you recommend the Amlogic/vero over the intel lake ?

Appreciate your guidance .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me please to decide on upgrade0