Fire Stick Video playback settings
I live in the USA and bought here a new gen 2 Fire Stick to go with my Sony KDL-EX640 1080p TV that has the 1080/24p video input setting. Click here for user manual if you care

I know from my old WDTV that it automatically pops over to "1080/24p" automatically.

Now with the fire stick and kodi trying to decipher what video settings to use. I have ripped a bunch of my blurays to .mkv and nearly all of them are at 23.976fps.

Question1: Does anyone have knowledge if Sony's "true 24p" or "1080/24p" setting really outputs 24.0fps? Or does it really output at the USA standard of 23.976fps since nearly all movies on blurays are distributed at 23.976fps.

Question2: If my TV with 1080/24p setting really displays 23.976 natively, are these the settings I should use:
Adjust display refresh rate to match video - ON/YES
Sync playback to display: OFF/NO

Question 3: If someone tells me that the 1080/24p really is for 24.0fps, then I should use the exact opposite settings correct? Adjust...OFF, Sync...ON
*Note: If going this route then will audio resampling occur automatically or do I have to set that?

When using Kodi should I turn Sony's Cinemotion off as well since it seems Kodi is doing all the work that is needed? (motionflow is always off, I hate it!)

My overall goal is to have smooth playback without the video having blur, judder, etc and to have the hd audio preserved. I'm assuming kodi is the best option for this as it seems to be able to control all sorts outputs.

Or are my questions moot because I'm using a fire stick and it doesn't have the ability to do any/most of this processing?

Thanks

Ben
Q1. 24p modes will usually refer to 23.976 and/or 24fps

Q2. The FireTV's do not output 23.976fps video properly only 24fps/Hz. If you have Kodi's Sync Playback to Display selected ON - 23.976fps video will be sped up to 24fps and output. To keep 23.976fps Audio in Sync, it will have to be resampled to match the 24fps output. You cannot use Passthrough Audio.

You will also need Adjust display refresh rate to match video - ON to autoswitch the TV into it's 24p Movie mode.

Q3. Your TV will do internal video processing to take the 1080p / 24p video output and play it back smoothly on your Sony TV - IF....
You have setup your TV's Settings - Cinemotion - Movie Mode - whatever it is called - correctly. It must be selected On. The TV will Autodetect any incoming 24p signal and should autoactivate this Cinemotion movie mode.

You may need a small bit of Motionflow / Smoothing to remove any remaining video "jitters"

I'm unsure if this will effect you or not:
Fire TV new Firmware 5.2.4.1 - 24p playback stuttering

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire Stick Video playback settings0