Hardware Acceleration Issue?
Hello,

Long time Kodi user here. I've been using kodi to playback my movies which are mostly in mp4 h.264.

Recently I switched to using h.265. Haven't noticed any issues. So last night I burned about 40 movies. I went to watch a few using Kodi and they would not playback properly. At first I thought it was the file issue itself. Tried to play them on my computer and they look fine.

Messed around with Kodi settings and turned off hardware acceleration and now they playback fine in Kodi

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? The picture looks like a mosaic. Each horizontal tile is off a few inches. Never have seen this before. Tried using two different versions of Kodi (16 and 17) and had same issue on both devices with the playback.

Appreciate any help or thoughts.
I should also add, this problem started after I setup a new computer to do my ripping. I was previously using an old computer and rips were sometimes taking two hours. I bought a new computer with Intel I7 7600 that does hardware encoding. Now my movies take about 15 minutes to burn. But now movies don't play well on Kodi for whatever reason. It's almost like screen tearing. Basically the picture grid doesn't like up and it creates this bizarre hatchet looking cross grid.

When I turn off hardware acceleration in Kodi the movies play fine though. Don't I want to generally keep HW acceleration on in Kodi?

Is there something I need to do when ripping the movie on the new computer before using Kodi to watch it?
Quote:turned off hardware acceleration
In a nut-shell. Encoding is the job of the cpu, and you have a nicely fast set-up for that. Decoding on the fly is either the job of hardware routines in your graphic card (this is where the trouble lies) or again the cpu if you choose software rendering. Some players like VLC use software rendering as default, or in other cases proprietary routines that make fast work of h265. Suggestion: see if there is an update to the graphic engine, which might alleviate the issue, or use your cpu for the decoding. Alternatively you could use External players (wiki) within Kodi, the negative with that is you wouldn't be able to use built in controllers.
Thank you for the input.

I rip the movie on a windows 10 Intel I7 machine. I then put the movie on a NAS storage device. I use Kodi installed on a Fire TV box.

The movie plays fine using VLC or Windows Media player on the computer. But the issue is on the Fire TV boxes.

So when you say "update the graphic engine" which device are you talking about?

Appreciate your help.
The issue would be with the Fire TV boxes, h265 is a horsepower encode, and decoding on the fly is the issue.
(2017-06-08, 17:00)TXDirt Wrote: I use Kodi installed on a Fire TV box.

Which generation Fire TV box?

The first gen doesn't support H.265 hardware decode:
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solu...ifications
I'm just one generation behind the ones that now support 4k.

So if I'm correct on what I'm reading, the newest generation Fire TV Boxes (support for 4k) should have the h.265 hardware acceleration available. Where as my current version only has support for h.264 hardware acceleration.

What is kinda strange, just as a note, I just bought the new computer a few days ago. My old computer was about 7 or 8 years old. It was a windows 7 with an Intel Core 2 or Core 3 processor. It wasn't even an "I" series at all. I copied about 30 movies using it in h.265 and those movies work fine on the Amazon fire Tv box. The reason I bought a new computer is because each movie was taking up to two hours to code to h.265. I assume this might be because it was purely software doing the encoding to h.265 and not the processor.

Well I bought a new computer and ripped about 20 movies using again the h.265 and my Intel I7 processor is doing the encoding and each movie now only takes me about 10 minutes. But it's these movies off the new computer that struggle to play on the Fire Box when I have Hardware Acceleration turned on in Kodi.

I can't seem to really wrap my head around why those code to h.265 on old computer work but the ones coded to h.265 on new computer don't work.
I actually think maybe I do have a few Gen 2 Fire boxes and it says it has support for h.265 hardware acceleration. I wonder though if it's just still not strong enough to process these h.265 files I've ripped. I'll take a look at all my Fire Boxes when I get home. I have 5 of them setup at various TV's around the house. All of them are loaded with Kodi.

Appreciate any feedback/input anyone else has regarding my setup.
You give no useful info at all.

What ripping software?
what h265 settings?
mediainfo output for encoded file?
Short sample clip?
Debug log (wiki) on playback?

Without this info, its guesswork. I suspect encoding errors but that is guesswork.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Acceleration Issue?0