Where are the nfo's now?
(2017-06-11, 12:10)nickr Wrote: From another thread, he is migrating from plex. May have got confused.

Sorry I missed all of the comments. I am actually migrating from Emby not Plex, though I wouldn't so much say migrating but expanding compatibility between the two media managers. As for the NFO's, I was under the impression that Kodi creates them. My library runs into the thousands just for movies alone so having everything stored in their respective folders is quite important for me, I think of it as future proofing. Alot of my artwork for movies and TV are non replaceable aswell as they are created by myself.
Ex-Graphic Designer - PS3,iPhone,Windows Theme Creator & General Photoshop & 3DS Max messer
My Projects: http://s746.photobucket.com/user/shagrat...t=6&page=1
As posted by others on this thread, kodi can export nfos and movie art from lib into media folders
Why having .NFO's and Artwork locally is important (at least for me)...

1. I like a fresh start with each new version of Kodi (I've had way to many issues in the past upgrading from older versions, where you no longer support this or that Add-on (TVTunes), or Skin (Aeon MQ7)).

2. I have an extremely large library (3400+ Movies, 720+ TV Series, 4000+ Music Videos, 800+ Music Artists with over 40,000 Music Tracks). Without NFO's and Artwork, and just using the Online Scrapers it will take over 4 Hours to just scan and add my TV series alone.

3. Online services come and go (or can't pay their bills, or afford all the data requests from us Kodi users, etc.). Didn't we just have an issue with TMDV or TVDB where they were out of bandwidth for the month, and it took them several days to come back online? This isn't the first time this has happened either.

4. Not all devices are connected to the Internet 24/7, and if you have all the NFO's and Artwork, you don't miss a thing.
I just export my library as single files once a month to keep things safe.
I use nfo for various reasons including

1. Don't use shared database but have many installs
2. No real online support for music video, while music managers easily supply the data needed for nfo
3. No need to keep hammering the online sites for the same data over and over
4. Time for full scrape is non-trivial
5. Nfo export from Kodi provides non-scraped data

I do use single file for music because nfo export has some design issues.

scott s.
(2017-06-09, 04:48)nickr Wrote: Kodi doesn't even need .nfo files unless:

1. You are so anally retentive that you don't like the scraped metadata and artwork; or

2. You are dealing with, eg, home movies that font appear on the online databases.

I wish people would stop obsessing about nfo files.

Really?
Several third party library managers need them.
Some people have obscure stuff which most scrapers can't seem to identify and they need to hand fix.

Kodi apparently supports them, if you think it shouldn't then have that feature axed.
Classy response, you haven't changed I see.
I didn't say they weren't sometimes useful, nor would I advocate their abolition.

I just said that in general they are not needed for successful scraping.

Obscure stuff should be added to the online databases.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-15, 03:37)nickr Wrote: I didn't say they weren't sometimes useful, nor would I advocate their abolition.

No, you didn't but your response wasn't particularly pleasant either. This is exactly how it was with you a year ago and now I'm the one being private messaged about my behaviour .....

Calling people anal re tentative isn't classy, I'm out.
(2017-06-15, 05:12)AbRASiON Wrote:
(2017-06-15, 03:37)nickr Wrote: I didn't say they weren't sometimes useful, nor would I advocate their abolition.

No, you didn't but your response wasn't particularly pleasant either. This is exactly how it was with you a year ago and now I'm the one being private messaged about my behaviour .....

Calling people anal re tentative isn't classy, I'm out.
That'll save you being banned won't it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not calling anyone "anally retentive" here, you're the one doing that Nickr and it looks bad, all you had to do was apologise.
Instead you come back and double down, but I'm the bad guy?

What is going on with these forums?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where are the nfo's now?0