• 13(current)
Req BD and UHD BD Menu support
(2018-04-08, 18:31)mr_lou Wrote:
(2018-04-08, 18:10)da-anda Wrote: I also see licensing issues (I doubt it's compatible to GPL, so we can't ship it)
 According to this page:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/28

It's GPL version 2.   
(2018-04-08, 18:46)mr_lou Wrote: phoneME source code: https://github.com/nikita36078/phoneME-android
Dear devs, would this be an option? I would love to see bd-j on android.
Tried building libbluray with j2me support and ran into a ton of problems building the jar, my current thought is that you may have to use an early jdk without generics? Just a thought?
Wink 
Hi All,

Total n00b here.  I've been using libreelec/kodi on every TV in my home for a while now (small pc's attached to each pc and streaming from a central server in my home office).  The setup is great and I absolutely love KODI (currently using Leia).  This setup is great, but I've always wanted the ability to launch a retail blu-ray disc from kodi just as a standalone player would (menus, extras, etc).  

I've read through this board and if I'm reading correctly it's now possible to run full blu-ray discs with java menus?!  If so, I do have a few questions.

If I were to build a Windows 10 pc with a blu-ray drive and Kodi "Leia" running on it and have whatever java packages installed, what else would be needed?  Specifically: Is an external player required (I have powerdvd if needed) or is KODI able to fully play the disc with java?

I also have a purchased copy of redfox anydvd hd (assuming it's needed).  

Sorry for the long winded post...just a noobie trying to figure this all out.  Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this!!  Smile

--Rick
Hi Rick
Yes, Kodi 18 (Leia) can play Blu-ray's with full Java menus.
However, it is not as complete as PowerDVD. For example, Kodi doesn't offer a POPUP button (last time I checked), which is used quite a lot on Blu-ray's to bring back the menu while the movie is playing.
(This is also a problem with VLC. But PowerDVD is "complete").

In return, Kodi can do something PowerDVD can't: It can actually play a Blu-ray remotely via HTTP and/or WebDAV. See the project "8-bit Memoirs" at http://www.8bitMemoirs.com if you want to test.
That's a full Blu-ray project coded with Blu-ray Disc Java that plays with both Kodi, VLC, PowerDVD and other software media players.

There's a difference between a free project like 8-bit Memoirs and commercial movies though. There's the issue with AACS encryption, of which I don't really know anything, but I'm sure someone else will reply here soon.
Thanks for the reply mr_lou!

So if I'm understanding correctly... kodi 18 WILL play bd java discs, but possibly have some issues.  If I have PowerDVD installed on that Win10 computer, can I configure KODI to launch the retail blu-ray disc using PowerDVD in the background and have it act just like a standalone player would?  As for the AACS encryption that shouldn't be a problem as long as AnyDVD HD is running in the background.

My goal is to be able to pop in a retail blu-ray disc and have it launch just like it would in a standalone player (full menus, extras, etc) and have it return back to my KODI interace when the disc is done.  

Thanks!  Rick
I don't think you can tell Kodi to launch PowerDVD - but PowerDVD can launch itself when it detects a Blu-ray Disc or Blu-ray USB. But if that's the setup you want, I don't see why you even want to use Kodi 18.
Not to diss Kodi, but if your main goal is to play Blu-ray's, and you already have PowerDVD, then I would use PowerDVD. It simply is the best software Blu-ray player out there. The main reason to use Kodi (or VLC) for Blu-ray playback is that they're free - and PowerDVD is not.

When Kodi 18 is released, I want to do something similar to you: Install it on one or more Rasberry Pi's and play Blu-ray's from USB. Though the Blu-ray's I want to play aren't commercial projects, but rather home video family recordings and such.

Kodi v18 will deliver the "full menus, extras, etc" because it handles BD-J now. And so will VLC. And it's fine. But nothing quite beats PowerDVD (yet) in that regard.

You should simply just try it out and see for yourself. Again, "8-bit Memoirs" is a great test example. Here you will notice how PowerDVD lets you use the numbers on the keyboard and have coloured keys too, while Kodi and VLC offers nothing like that. Hopefully some day Kodi and VLC will offer these things too, but we probably shouldn't hold our breaths.
Thanks again for your input!  My goal is to keep KODI up as the shell on my desktop (don't want to see MS Windows, only KODI).  After doing some googling I found that KODI does support "external players" but the articles that I saw were written before KODI had the java support, so it would launch a blu-ray disc but without the java menu support.  Now that KODI apparently supports java, I'm assuming that if I were to set up powerdvd as an external player within KODI it will launch a blu-ray disc from the KODI interface and play the disc as if it were a standalone blu-ray player with menus.

I'm hoping to play around with it this weekend to see if I can get it working.  Smile

Rick
Could someone clarify to me what the AACS situation with Kodi is currently?  While I MOSTLY enjoy my discs through Remuxing to movies or individual eps, since Kodi is kinda designed for that, I wouldn't mind having popping in my retail discs as an option.

...Granted I'd have to buy a second BDROM drive, one for my HTPC, but ya know, it'd be nice rather than relying on my PS4.

Oh and what's the Region Code situation if AACS encrypted discs can be loaded?  I have a couple of Region B's form the UK.
(2018-10-06, 04:53)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Could someone clarify to me what the AACS situation with Kodi is currently?  While I MOSTLY enjoy my discs through Remuxing to movies or individual eps, since Kodi is kinda designed for that, I wouldn't mind having popping in my retail discs as an option.

...Granted I'd have to buy a second BDROM drive, one for my HTPC, but ya know, it'd be nice rather than relying on my PS4.

Oh and what's the Region Code situation if AACS encrypted discs can be loaded?  I have a couple of Region B's form the UK.
Anybody...?
i use the last beta5 version but i cant play bd menus, it will not start.
Java ist installed and i got no errors
You’ve already been given an answer.
the other thread ist Android and this is Win 10 x64
Well you didn’t say you were now trying with Windows, you need to make sure it’s the x64 java version installed on Windows x64.
i have installed the x64 version
Have you enabled Java menus in Player -> Discs
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BD and UHD BD Menu support3