Best 2G/8G Box for Kodi 17.3?
Hey guys

Just wanted everyones opinion on what is the most solid 2g/8g box for Kodi 17.3? I've been looking at a couple different ones, but I can't really seem to settle on which is the best, any insight is appreciated.
Most Solid and relatively stable Kodi these days = a box running a Linux based Kodi variant like OSMC or LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Plug N Play = Vero 4K, running OSMC

Next easiest = WeTek's Hub / Play2 or Hardkernels ODROID C2 running LibreELEC Kodi.
Highly recommend a MINIX A2 Lite Wireless Remote with these.

Kodi will auto update on all these devices listed above.

Then you get to the Army of AMLogic S905(x) boxes. Pick of the bunch would be the MINIX U1, due to its wireless A2 remote, GigaE, best WiFi on any AMLogic box. Run LibreELEC Kodi on all of them.
Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC recommended for LibreELEC.

Wireless remotes make using Kodi on any box so much more enjoyable. Do it right the first time any spend good money on this usability addition.

Avoid Android Kodi if you want minimum problems and have all Kodi features "just work"

Thanks for this information, it's rather overwhelming haha.

I'm just looking for a cheap 2g/8g box to use at home with a build that i got from a youtube tutorial, want it to have android os, run kodi 17.3 and just be the best it can be for what it is. If you could only buy 1 2g/8g box for yourself, which one would u buy?
Sorry I'm not recommending cheap Android for a solid Kodi experience. The two do not belong together in the same sentence.

If you insist on Android get a Android TV - Xiaomi Mi Box, otherwise expect Android Kodi problems on cheap cloned Android devices. Their Infra Red only remotes are usually terrible as well. Definitely avoid AMLogic S912 boxes.
You have been warned.

You can run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on cheap Android S905(x)devices. See the LibreELEC forums, AMLogic section.

What is the issue with the s912 chip specifically? I'm very curious and just trying to learn as much as I can
(2017-06-13, 04:42)BDAFTV Wrote: I'm just looking for a cheap 2g/8g box to use at home with a build that i got from a youtube tutorial,

Just to be clear we don't provide support for piracy builds. If you go down that route you're on your own.

Also any hardware recommendation you get from this forum and the performance described will be based on legitimate uses of Kodi. By installing that junk you most likely will negate a lot of that performance / stability.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
S912 Android Marshmallow devices: (Nougat Boxes have Firmware fixes)

Always overpromise and under deliver...

- No Automatic Kodi refresh switching to allow for ultra smooth Kodi video playback.
- No IEC Audio support code required for Krypton 5.1 DTS or HD Audio Passthrough.
- Darker than normal 1080p video output due to buggy Firmware.
- Infra Red only remotes which are usually terrible vs Wireless on other devices.
- Very poorly engineered thermal design leading to...
- Some devices overheating if they have really poor Firmware.
- No Linux GPU Video drivers available for S912's which means even LibreELEC Kodi has graphic issues.
- more i've forgotten...

Lack of Bug fixing Android Firmware updates from Ship and Forget Sellers who simply do not care once they have your money and this applies to all dirt cheap Android Kodi boxes.
Strictly DIY and not a Solid choice for Kodi at all.

And so I do not go about repeating myself any longer you MUST read:

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated May 2017)

I have a pair of Nexbox A95X 2/8 boxes, running LE. Other than some tweaking for the remote everything works out of the box for LE (BT, wifi, etc). IR receiver on the box is excellent and the included remote is pretty decent (excluding the 'air mouse' part).
Appears to be no overheating issues, they stay on 24/7 and I think I have only had to restart one of them in the last month.
Use LE only like all these boxes anything Android will be lacking, that said I do have one that I dual boot with (other LE is on NAND) for basic web browsing and it does OK.

YMMV tho, since many of these boxes are built to a budget so what components are used in a box one month may be completely different the next.
One suggestion to you. T98 android tv box. Runs well.
(2017-06-13, 04:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Plug N Play = Vero 4K, running OSMC
Next easiest = WeTek's Hub / Play2 or Hardkernels ODROID C2 running LibreELEC Kodi.
In Australia the Vero and Wetek are expensive compared to the Odroid C2. But the Odroid is out of stock at the moment.
Any decent boxes similar to the Odroid in terms of stability, price, 1080p x265 playback and AC3/DTS/AAC 5.1 sound (via hdmi)?
I don't get the obsession with buying cheap £40 boxes to watch content on your £1,000 TV, these boxes are like buying a pair of £15 shoes where the soles will wear down after a month. People are quick to spend money on other tech items (i.e. mobile phones, TV's etc) so why scrimp on sub-standard boxes?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best 2G/8G Box for Kodi 17.3?0