Android Kodi file tagging/naming
I'm using Kodi via a T95Z settop box to play music from a LAN server through an AV receiver.

The problem: Kodi uses name tags that make zero sense for my approach to storing and retrieving music. And bizarrely, mp3tag can't see these tags, so I can't change them.

I'm not at all interested in handing management of my music over to a library manager. Most of the music is classical & opera. File server folders are organised by genre, composer, then alphabetically by work title. I use Kodi to browse for files. Kodi's insistence on labelling these files with something other than their filenames is a huge PITA.

Perhaps Kodi's default behaviours fit other kinds of music collections, or other user preferences. They sure as hell don't fit mine.

I've found no system settings that defeat this annoying file-tagging behaviour. How do I defeat these Kodi "features", or do I need to find other software?
Sounds like what you are seeing if Kodi replacing the file names with information from the id3 tags contained in the music files. If this is the case and you do not want this behaviour enabled then make sure the setting "enable tag reading" is turned off in Settings - Media - Music. If this isn't your issue then please post a screenshot.
Kodi uses the embedded tags in music files to form the music library, but if you want simply use file mode and don't scan the tags to create the library.

However all tags used by Kodi can be seen and edited using Mp3tag, so I don't understand your comment. I suspect you just don't know how to use Mp3tag.

BTW feel free to use any other software you like.
(2017-06-14, 00:29)pzbrawl Wrote: I'm using Kodi via a T95Z settop box to play music from a LAN server through an AV receiver.

The problem: Kodi uses name tags that make zero sense for my approach to storing and retrieving music. And bizarrely, mp3tag can't see these tags, so I can't change them.

I'm not at all interested in handing management of my music over to a library manager. Most of the music is classical & opera. File server folders are organised by genre, composer, then alphabetically by work title. I use Kodi to browse for files. Kodi's insistence on labelling these files with something other than their filenames is a huge PITA.

Perhaps Kodi's default behaviours fit other kinds of music collections, or other user preferences. They sure as hell don't fit mine.

I've found no system settings that defeat this annoying file-tagging behaviour. How do I defeat these Kodi "features", or do I need to find other software?

Perhaps what u call tags are actually "scraped" info?. Just guessing. I have music scrapers and all settings having something to do with retrieving on-line info set off, cause that way only what I tagged is showed.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi file tagging/naming0