Deinterlacing with Fire TV (gen 1)
I've read a bunch of threads related to these issues so I apologize because I'm sure the answer is out there, I just can't seem to find it or figure out exactly what I need to do.

Issue is this: when watching live TV, non-HD broadcasts are interlaced. Normally, the "deinterlace" setting is disabled. This also happens when playing DVD rips, but I can just deinterlace when transcoding so I never worried about it before.

After research I realized I can disable both hardware acceleration settings and the "deinterlace" setting appears and generally seems to work automatically when watching live TV. The MPEG2 streams looks prettty good. But then h.264 video no longer plays correctly, I guess because Fire TV isn't fast enough. So I have to manually change the settings anytime I go back and forth.

So what I really need is the ability to disable hardware decoding *only* for MPEG2. It seems like this is possible, but definitely not configurable from the Kodi UI, and I couldn't find an example configuration change to make. Could someone point me to a resource to get this configured correctly? Thank you!
Use SPMC, that has an option to disable hardware acceleration for MPEG2 content and give you what you want, it is far more flexible:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases/tag/16.7.0-spmc

You Sideload and Install the armeabi-v7a.apk release.

In SPMC OSD video / deinterlace Kodi Krypton equivalent options:
Deinterlace = YADIFx2
Deinterlace-half = YADIF

"Save as default" down the bottom so SPMC can remember that deinterlacing option for Software decoded and Software deinterlaced mpeg2 content only for all TV channels.

(2017-06-14, 14:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Use SPMC, that has an option to disable hardware acceleration for MPEG2 content and give you what you want, it is far more flexible:

I've been using Kodi 17 for a while, I'd have a hard time going back to 16 (if nothing else having gotten used to Estuary)... if this is the only way?

.. though I guess there's no reason I can't run them side by side and just use SPMC for watching TV Wink will give it a try tonight!

Thanks- Jamie
Just a note - no trouble getting up and running. The default deinterlace and codec handling settings seem to work perfectly on my FTV gen 1, everything looks as it should. Thanks for the suggestion - problem solved! Whenever SPMC catches up to 17.. I see no reason to keep stock Kodi around, I imagine I'll just switch everything over, right now just using SPMC for watching TV which is fine.
(2017-06-14, 14:16)jamietre Wrote: This also happens when playing DVD rips, but I can just deinterlace when transcoding so I never worried about it before.

How and when do you transcode DVD rips? Or are you saying that you rip DVDs to a set of deinterlaced files with no menus, etc? I already have many DVD rips and don't want to go through the process again. I want my DVD rips to be backups of the DVDs and be able to play them with Kodi in my Fire Stick. Is that possible? I haven't found a way yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deinterlacing with Fire TV (gen 1)0