japanese/cyriliy characters
@Moderator: I am not clear about the roots of my problem. That is why I posted in such a general group. Please feel free to move my post to the correct group.

My Kodi doesn't display japanes or cyrilic characters in filenames (over Samba). There are only boxes.

This is default Kodi 17.1 (2:17.1+dfsg1-3) from Debian unstable repository. It is the defalut skin (estuary).
It would be better in the Linux section as it's Debian.

I'll move it there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Just thinking out loud since I'm not so good at Linux... Could it be that the font that your skin is using doesn't support CJK/Cyrillic characters? See if there is an option to use Arial or Arial-based font in the skin settings?
(2017-06-20, 23:43)runningnaked Wrote: Just thinking out loud since I'm not so good at Linux... Could it be that the font that your skin is using doesn't support CJK/Cyrillic characters? See if there is an option to use Arial or Arial-based font in the skin settings?
Can specify that?

I don't use a font. the system does. In my Debian there is no problem to display such characters. It is only in Kodi. That is why I wondering. And I never toucht the language settings there. the skin is the default which I would expect that it should use a unicode supporting font.
Ah I forgot... I haven't used the default skin in forever. I've been using the Rapier skin, whose default font has trouble displaying Unicode characters, but once I switched its font to Arial, it was able to display CJK. Hopefully someone else familiar with the default skin will be able to offer better help. :/
Sounds like a bug for me. Kodi should support unicode in its default settings.

I can reproduce this on Debian and Windows.
Kodi supports Unicode. In the default skins, the default font only supports Latin-1 to make the font memory requirement smaller. You must select Arial-based in the interface font options to get wider coverage (not all scripts though).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
japanese/cyriliy characters0