Is possible to automatically switch to 1920x1080 playing 3D movies??
hello - i was wondering if its possible to play a 3d movie where kodi switches automatically to 1920x1080 in order for 3D to work then switch back to the higher default video settings once movie is stop or done?? since i don't think 3D supports anything higher than 1920x1080. can we put a code in advanced setting to make this happen?? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

i'm still on kodi Jarvis 16.1, windows 10, 64bit
Doesnt kodi adapt to the movies resolution alreay? What is not working ok right now?
Thread moved to Windows
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Kodi sniffs out the resolution of the video prior to start-up and 'usually' is correct in that regard. With 3D settings>videos>player>videos> some stereoscopic settings [expert mode] and then returns to normal given the settings. Sounds like you have a 4K 3D (wiki) capable screen, and this isn't working out for you? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303504

Might be time to enjoy Krypton.
Depends entirely on what format you ripped (MVC frame packed, SBS, TAB?) AND what HDMI ports you use (1.4, 2.0?)
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-06-25, 18:03)PatK Wrote: Kodi sniffs out the resolution of the video prior to start-up and 'usually' is correct in that regard. With 3D settings>videos>player>videos> some stereoscopic settings [expert mode] and then returns to normal given the settings. Sounds like you have a 4K 3D (wiki) capable screen, and this isn't working out for you? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303504

Might be time to enjoy Krypton.

thank you PatK & others. i have not found a fix yet. i do have 4k tv with resolution 4096x2160p. i would love for 3d to play on this resolution. is it even possible? my question is..

#1 - is it possible to play 3d higher than 1920x1080p??
#2 - is it possible to have kodi when playing a 3d movie to switch to whatever is the maximum resolution then revert back after movie is finish to my default resolution of 4096x2160p??

thanks again in advance for any help.
Ahh so you have a 4k setup.

I think the best way is to set kodi to 1080p and for it to switch to 4k only for 4k source material. Quite how this is achieved I am unsure. There are threads about though...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
1080p upscaled to 2160p is much better than forcing 1080p. 1080p downscaled on a 4k display looks worse than 1080p on a native 1080p display. Even the Kodi GUI looks terrible at 1080p on a 4k display. A 2D 1080p title should report 2160p on your display. A 3D title should report 1080p on your display. This is because 1080p is being sent to each eye. Combining, it appears 2160p and looks much better upscaled as it should.

So, 3D is not natively any higher resolution than 1080p. You can natively upscale a rip to 2160p but all that will do is increase file size. Your 4k display will achieve the same thing on the fly and do a better job while saving file size.

You don't want to accommodate your title resolution by adjusting your native resolution down and expect it to adjust up when needed. Just the opposite. Adjust your native resolution as high as your display allows, usually 2160p. Do this in your GPU settings for Windows desktop. Kodi should automatically adopt this global resolution when started. If not, set it to what Windows is set at, 2160p and leave it.

Playing anything 1080p 2D will upscale to 2160p and look much, much, much better than a 1080p display ever did. A 2160p title (4k, UHD) will look 4k as intended but don't expect leaps and jumps better than a 1080p upscaled counterpart. You can only tell the difference if your up very, very close (display also used as PC monitor). But don't get me wrong, even at a long distance upscaled 1080p and 2160p look drastically better than 1080p ever did. The same is true for upscaled 3D even at a distance.

So, it is not really Kodi handling any workload of resolutions. It's your display. I would set Kodi to tell your display to match (change) refresh rates on start and stop though and leave everything set at 60Hz until that occurs. All of this allows Windows desktop usage (youtube and other streaming) to perform and look very well and allow Kodi GUI to look and perform very well, and allow your movies to look and perform as well as they possibly can. Enjoy!
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I have the same problem with my Nvidia Shield connected to a 4k projector.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is possible to automatically switch to 1920x1080 playing 3D movies??0