Nas hardware
(2017-07-07, 20:45)runningnaked Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 20:20)ravndude Wrote: 3 years ago I tried every dam media box there was and none of them could pass truehd and hdma. I'm glad to hear there are methods now besides just a pc of some sort.

Ah I see where you're coming from. Yes the 2015 Nvidia Shield and the 2014 Haswell Chromebox were (are) able to passthrough TrueHD, but they came out after your initial tests. Since then, besides PC's, I believe there are several cheap AML devices that can do so as well.

Any insight on HDR?

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-07-07, 16:42)ravndude Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 14:55)GreySkies Wrote:
(2017-07-06, 13:52)ravndude Wrote: What people fail to mention on why you would want to use a nas such as QNAP for kodi is high quality audio. Streaming destroys audio to 1995 Dolby digital levels. Anything higher must pass over hdmi. So if you have your own rips or download real rips with actually good audio (Dolby trueHD or DTS HDMA) then the qnap will pass the uncompressed 7.1 audio over HDMI to your receiver. And it will stream like every other silly android box out there. It's a fucking pc running Linux. And you can download and manually install your own kodi qkpg file. I think people should research a tad more before bashing really good hardware for a shitty android box. Jus sayin.

https://qnapclub.eu/

That's not correct. I stream hi-res audio, including Atmos movies through my network to Kodi.

Atmos is an audio format. I'm extremely curious how you think "high res audio" is gonna make it to your receiver over Ethernet.

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

My movies are stored on a Dell PowerVault DAS running hardware RAID6 connected to a Dell PowerEdge server. For each AV zone in my house, I have a Kodi box that's connected to my network via Ethernet. Each Kodi box is connected to an AVR via HDMI, with the exception of my movie theater, where the Kodi box is connected to the HDMI in on my Oppo Blu Ray player so it can take advantage of the Oppo's Darbee processor. I could use the Oppo to stream movies across my network (and I have), but its menu system isn't pretty. All AV equipment is located in a central rack in my billiard room, and all network/server gear is in another central rack in a mechanical room.

In my theater, I'm running 7.2.4 Atmos, which works just fine playing movies across my network.

I hope this has satisfied your curiosity.
Ravndude what you need to understand is that when you access a file over the network, the file is passed bit for bit to the client.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nas hardware0