Using Kodi with NAS storage
I have a few hundred movies saved to a 4TB Western Digital My Cloud NAS. The My Cloud has a built-in Twonky Media Server. It serves media to my Roku (via the built in Roku Media Player). However, I despise the Twonky interface. I can't browse by genre or actor, among other things. I was hoping to be able to use Kodi to remedy the situation. I downloaded Kodi, I turned on uPNP sharing, and I added the videos by navigating to the shared folder on the NAS. It added the videos fine, and it scraped the Movie Database for tags.

I then turned on Roku Media Player, and I selected "Kodi" as the media server. I could browse by genre, I could select a movie and it would show me an info screen with a plot line, etc. However, when I pressed "Play" to actually watch the movie, I got the following error (on every video I tried):

"File Not Playable: The file type might not be supported, the codec used for compression might not be supported, the file might be protected, or the file might be damaged or corrupt".

Bear in mind that both Twonky and Kodi are serving the exact same files from the exact same folder. However, the Roku will play them when they are served by Twonky and will not play them when served by Kodi. Does anyone know what might be going on, and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I moved one movie from the NAS to a folder on the machine that is running Kodi, and Kodi served it just fine to the Roku. So the problem is apparently somewhere between the NAS folder and Kodi. I tried switching from SMB to NFS, but it didn't help.
What file format are your movies stored in?

The my cloud should work fine - I have a my cloud mirror which feeds my kodi pi is media via NFS without issue. I use MP4 format for this and it works.

What are you running Kodi on? Your description is a bit confusing as the Roku shouldn't be too be involved at all. The kodi device should connect directly to your TV via HDMI and play directly. Kodi is a media player, not a server.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi with NAS storage0