7zip
This post have more information about what l talked about earlier. If l have a mp4 movie than l compress it using 7zip. When l am going to put in my libary in KODI it don't show up. I have about 50 movies (mp4) on my pc, thats about 50-100 Gigabytes. I was hoping that KODI could add 7zip files then unpack them so play them.
Firstly you should know that video files are already compressed using a video codec, like h264 etc. So you won't gain much from using 7 zip. I'd be interested to see what space gain you actually achieve.

Secondly I don't think Kodi supports compressed video files anyway. The rar support is for uncompressed rars only.

Thirdly hard drive space is cheap.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Zipping videos is ludicrous. The amount on disk space is perhaps 0.5-1.0 percent at the very best. It's simply not worth all the troubles.
Considering the overheads for the actual 7zip file, I wonder if any zip files come out larger than the actual unzipped movie?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hopefully seb13hus can give us some stats.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you want to compress videos, convert them from h264 to hevc format.
That will give you savings from 40% to 90% compression, depending on the video source.

But that preferrably requires a recent video card for GPU encoding/decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
7zip0