v12 WiFi router blocking my Kodi box?
We recently upgraded our router from this four year old model to a new one provided by time Warner. It's a technicolor tc8717t to be precise. Our box worked fine on the old router, but for some reason it won't connect to the new WiFi. Whenever I put in the password, it alternately says the password is wrong and that it's not accepted by my router.

Is it possible there is something in my router or router settings that is blocking my box? I looked at the settings online and it wasn't listed as blocked or anything.
Hello [email protected] and welcome,

This doesn't sound like a Kodi problem, as Kodi only accesses the network via your operating system. Are you able to exit out of Kodi and surf the internet from a browser?

As for the password issue... what is asking for the password? Kodi, router, network?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
XBMC 12..? Why do people get stuck in the past with 6-year old software? Smile
Perhaps they are still using OpenELEC v2.3?
Sorry, that was just a guess based on the drop-down options in the post. I got my xmbc last year but I'm not sure what number it is. I guess it's technically from xmbcmart. It says 802.11n WiFi on the specs, so maybe that's it? The new router, I was told has two channels one that's 2.5GHz and 5.8.

It's just weird because I swear it worked for a few hours on the new router but then when I unplugged it to move it into a different room, it was unable to re-connect to the wifi. I'm mostly trying to figure out if I need to get a new device or if i need to potentially get a new router and hoping that someone out there that knows more about this stuff could weigh in on where my problem likely lies.

thanks
Sure, understand.

Best that you contact XBMCmart for support as, most likely, you have a modified version of XBMC installed.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Networking is an operating system issue so android is your issue, not kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I know nothing is wrong on the Kodi side of things per se since if I jack into the ethernet it's fine. Clearly my question isn't being interpreted right here. I know it's not specifically an issue of Kodi, was just wondering if somehow a router could be setup to block a certain type of device like my Kodi box from XBMC mart.

I've contacted them directly, so y'all can just ignore this post since no one can or will give me a straight yes/no if its possible a router could be set up to block a specific type of device.
It can be set up to block specific types of traffic.

The last few days I have noticed a couple of posts where the ISP has also blocked certain types of traffic. I have asked one member for further information, and am still awaiting his response.

---Edit---
Here is one example... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2620345
My Signature
Hi, i am new to this forum but I am literally having the exact same problem and am hoping you have fgured out a solution by now. We have had Time Warner for years and the boxes have worked fine but today they "upgraded" my router to the Technicolor and now none of my boxes will connect to the wifi. It just keeps telling me my password is wrong or that it wont allow the connection. I can connect phones, laptops, etc... but no XBMC Kodi boxes. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Jasonbox,

No, we have no solution. The reason being is that it is not a Kodi problem. You, yourself, have detailed where the problem lies so I suggest contacting Time Warner for assistance and asking what the new password is.

Kodi does not control your internet connection. That is controlled by the underlying operating system.
My Signature
The password works on all other devices in my home other than these boxes. That is the only reason i have been searching android box forums. Any chance it has anything to do with the fact that this new technicolor modem is dual band so has a 2.4 and 5G signal vs just a single band on the old modem?
As Karellen said, this is not a kodi issue, but yes you might like to find out which wireless technologies are supported by whatever android box you have kodi on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, similar to the original post, i am very aware that this isnt a kodi issue and appreciate everyone pointing that out. I was really just hoping that the original poster had solved the mystery and could let me in on the secret.
Sorry, I thought I had posted my solution. It turned out to be a matter that my Kodi box didn't support wps2 security, which is what the Technicolor defaults to and warns you if you change it.

Change your router settings to wps, not wps2 and you should be good
Thank you very much for your reply. I will try that now and update the post

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WiFi router blocking my Kodi box?0