Which Graphic card to replace a faulty Nvidia 9500GT?
Hi!

I need to replace an old and faulty GT9500 on my HTPC

It will fit in an old and humble configuration, but that works pretty well on 1080p playback.
This one is dedicated to audio and video playback (not any other usage involved) and used exclusively with Kodi

The computer :

Core2duo E8400 (3 Ghz / 6 Mo cache)
6 Go DDR2
Asus P5K deluxe motherboard
120Gb SSD
Win 7 x64 home premium

I was about to pick up a fanless Geforce GT610 due to cheap price but suddenly, the GT1030 kicked in...

Is it a good choice to replace my outdated GT9500? Does the GT1030 worth it?
Maybe H265 hardware decoding would be a nice support to help my antic CPU? Or should I stick to the cheapest and grab a GT610?

Thanks for your help!

Paul.
See GeForce GT 1030 discussion here => https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=318937

Pretty future-proof IMHO so should last many years. MSI even have 10-year warranty on their cards too.

Might want to upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP though:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-wi...-features/

Get it while its legally free Wink

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessib...u3o52rA)()
TY for the reply.

I feel the same about the new GT1030, i was just wondering if it's a good choice regarding the rest of the setup... which is kinda old.
By the way, i don't need (at the time) 4K support, but who knows?
any advantage to upgrade to Win10 instead of Win7? I mean, for a 100% Kodi usage of the system?
Kodi is available has a UWP app on W10 not on W7.
(2017-07-27, 15:57)stunty999 Wrote: I feel the same about the new GT1030, i was just wondering if it's a good choice regarding the rest of the setup... which is kinda old.
I do not think that it your PC too old to be used as a dedicated HTPC as long as you put a GeForce GT 1030 in it.

I don't think any PC is too old to be a dedicated HTPC if the hardware supports a GeForce GT 1030 and Windows 10.

(2017-07-27, 15:59)stunty999 Wrote: any advantage to upgrade to Win10 instead of Win7? I mean, for a 100% Kodi usage of the system?
Not really specifically for Kodi yet other than convenience of automatic-updates of Kodi as a UWP app in the Windows Store.

Windows 10 is however a more secure OS so less chance of getting a virus or malware as long as you enable automstic securtiy patching and automatic windows defender updates. Also if you have Windows 7 32-bit and not Windows 64-bit today, then you might want to reinstall to get Windows 64-bit anyway and if so might as well install Windows 10.

Netflix HD (1080p) and Netflix 4K (Ultra HD) requires Windows 8 or later though. And Netflix is only the first out, and other streaming services will sooner or later also abandoed Windows 7, long before they abandon Window 10.

Most people I know think that Windows 10 is better than Windows 8, so if you have Windows 7 and want to upgrade then upgrade all the way to Windows 10 and not only to Windows 8.

And again, I would upgrade now while it is still possible to do the upgrade for free, as later you will have to pay to upgrade and there is a reason that Microsoft is a Fortune 500 (100) company.
One possible obstacle perhaps:
Netflix requirements currently mention at least 3GB video memory for its highest streams, the GT1030 has only 2GB.
Thanks guys!

The computer is kinda old, something like 9 years old but as I said, it works pretty well doing that job.

I gonna get the 1030, sounds like the better choice at the time in my case.

And maybe i'll upgrade to win10 if i found some time Smile

thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Graphic card to replace a faulty Nvidia 9500GT?0