NUC or more powerful HTPC?
Hi there,

Sorry in advance for such a long post! I would like to improve my home theatre setup and am torn between a couple of approaches. I am a relative newbie to all this, so after much reading I'd like to ask for some advice please.

For some background I currently I have:
Sony 1080p TV
Yamaha 1080p AV receiver
5.1 QAcoustics speaker setup
Wetek Hub (thanks to advice found last year on this forum!)

We do not have live TV feeds; the only thing we watch is our collection of ripped DVDs via Kodi on the Wetek Hub with multiple external HDDs plugged in directly. Now we would like to:

- start making use of streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify etc)
- future proof things if possible (4k in the next year or two)
- store our media collection on a NAS
- "possibly" use the HTPC to replace the main family PC in a separate office

The main reason for replacing the Wetek Hub is that one of the streaming services we would like to use only operates via IE browser. With that in mind we have to consider a Windows HTPC and so I'd like to ask your views on either:

1) get a NUC (NUC7I5BNH) + Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 - 250GB + KINGSTON HyperX Impact 8GB (2 x 4GB) (approx 500 euro)
or
2) go with a much higher-end HTPC (such as https://techbuyersguru.com/1100-high-end...r-pc-build) (approx 1100$ according to that blog)

The NUC will be cheaper and easier to get going, but will be more limited in terms of future upgrades.
Option 2 will be much more powerful (overkill at the moment for sure) but would allow for future upgrades, would take (better?) care of future 4k needs than the NUC and would also allow more flexibility to replace the family PC and be used for a variety of other tasks (running VMs, work, games, etc).

Option 2 is double the cost upfront, but would that save shelling out for a whole new setup to replace the NUC in a couple of years? Or are prices for these types of devices/components tumbling so much that the higher up-front cost now doesn't make sense?

Regarding the NAS, again the idea is to future-proof. I'm too lazy to build my own, so have been thinking about an 8-bay Synology or QNAP, which would allow for 2 pools of 4 disks. Some of these units have HDMI out themselves; with an HTPC in the mix would it make sense to get a NAS that has HDMI-out, or not really and just have the HTPC connected to the AVR and accessing the media on the NAS over ethernet?

Thanks for the time you guys take to give advice and suggestions!

Cheers,
G
I know this might sounds a bit weird, but what about a Xbox One S. Will handle everything 4K (including discs), has Edge browser and may even run Kodi in the future, in the meantime keep the Hub for Kodi usage.
(2017-07-27, 18:18)yarg Wrote: WeTek Hub (thanks to advice found last year on this forum!)

- start making use of streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify etc)
I would start by installing the Android TV 2.2 ROM on to the Hub first for Netflix and Spotify use - use those Apps all the time.

Spend good money on a quality NAS - I'm not sure expensive HTPC's are good value any more.

Most people just want ease of use with Android TV Apps and (LibreELEC)Kodi Krypton - which means staying away from any sort of Mice use on a TV screen.

If you want to replace an office PC down the track, I seriously doubt its going to need an $1100 HTPC.

If you get a NAS (great idea, much better than external hdds), do put it in another room.
I have an 8 bay synology and while it is moderately silent for what it is (8 disks spinning), I can assure you you do not want that running in your living room.
(2017-07-28, 10:45)tehsoul Wrote: I have an 8 bay synology and while it is moderately silent for what it is (8 disks spinning), I can assure you you do not want that running in your living room.
Synology has sleep/spindown functionality, or did you not enable it (for certain reasons)?
(2017-07-28, 12:47)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 10:45)tehsoul Wrote: I have an 8 bay synology and while it is moderately silent for what it is (8 disks spinning), I can assure you you do not want that running in your living room.
Synology has sleep/spindown functionality, or did you not enable it (for certain reasons)?

It's not enabled on my machine but not for any particular reason, though on my machine there are jobs running 24/7 that will probably prevent it going into spindown anyway... Have not tested it out.

But in any case when you watch a movie the disks will be spinning because you'll need disk access - exactly the time you definitely don't want to hear the unit :-)
Thanks to all for your great feedback! After more reading and questions on other forums, it seems like the general consensus is that the best combination would be:

1) The computer in the office is on it's last legs anyway, so replace that with a Win10 machine in a case that can house enough drives to serve as a 4-disk NAS and then backup to the cloud for the really important data.
Is there not a concern though about power consumption on a full PC running 24x7 doubling as a NAS, vs a dedicated Synology/QNAP etc that consume less power, thus with longer-term savings?
Also use this Windows machine to access the single IE streaming service that interests us and somehow "cast" that "IE channel" stream that to the media player in point #2 below...how do we do that "casting"?

2) Use a Shield/Roku/our existing Wetek/AN Other android device to access streaming services as well as the content from the PC/NAS.

One major bonus is that I have a feeling that would work out quite a bit cheaper than an HTPC/NUC + 8-bay QNAP and disks!
Does that make sense?
Thanks!
No issues with keeping my desktop running 24/7 since it serves as my media nas. When watching stuff on another device the desktop will be idling most of the time anyways so its not a big deal on resources only time would be if your running something heavy like gaming at the same time some else is streaming from the pc. Otherwise the idle wattage isn't very high on new parts so don't worry about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NUC or more powerful HTPC?0