New Kodi User Needs CEC Help
Hello all,

I ditched using a Kodi build and started fresh using Openelec. Wow, the difference in speed is amazing. Screw using a build.

Anyhow, I am using a Pi B+. When Kodi loads, It shows that the CEC Pulsar Control is enabled and connected(I forget the wording).

When I try the TV remote(Sceptre brand TV) nothing happens. I am not sure what to do next.

Please help.
Is the CEC component in the TV actually enabled? (Have to ask...)
Kodi defaults CEC to HDMI port 1 on the TV, perhaps you used a different port on your TV?

"CEC Pulsar Control"
Pulsar?
I may b wrong on the pulsar part but I have been through the settings on the TV and cant find controls for it. It does have 3 HDMI ports and port 3 is MHL compatible. The manual says that if I use port 3 it will control a Roku box but that is all it says. Perhaps it is Pulse 8 the kodi box says. I dont have access to that room now as the kids are sleeping.
Pulse 8 sounds right.

Have you looked in Kodis peripherals settings?

Also different tv manufacturers use different names for CEC. Try Google, I have never heard of sceptre TVs
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I did have a look in the peripherals but nothing wrong stood out at me. The TV has very little settings to change and mentions nothing about CEC or anything similar. Is it possible the TV dont support CEC? The manual doesn't say too much other than you can control a Roku Device as long as you use the HDMI3/MHL port on the TV. In the TV manual it does say the remote follows the Sony standard whatever that means?
It may pay to ssh into openelec and take a look at your logs. If you turn on debugging in Kodi you should get some messages in .kodi/temp/kodi.log

There are also command line CEC commands. I am not sure if they are included in openelec. https://blog.gordonturner.com/2016/12/14...pberry-pi/

PS good on you getting rid of your build.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-30, 04:35)plumpkatt1 Wrote: Is it possible the TV dont support CEC?

Of course. Most new TVs support it, but older or very cheap ones may not.

A quick search found this.
I don't know the model of your TV but a Sceptre x40 TV does not support CEC.
I have 3 Insignia (Best Buy house brand) tv's, each with a Raspberry Pi attached running LibreElec Jarvis or Krypton.

All work with CEC. However, it's called "INLink" in the settings, and it has to be enabled on the tv for it to work. I found this out by trial and error.

My Sony tv calls it something else, I forget what. It also has to be enabled in Kodi.

Your tv may- or may not- support CEC. Or it may be buried in the settings under some obscure name like on my sets.

Worse come to worse- you can always buy a FLIRC transmitter and then just set up another remote for the Pi.
(2017-07-29, 04:05)plumpkatt1 Wrote: I ditched using a Kodi build and started fresh using Openelec. Wow, the difference in speed is amazing. Screw using a build.
Just curious: What's a "build", and why would OpenELEC be faster?

Best regards,
Steen
A build is a heavily modified version of Kodi.

Builds are not supported by Kodi as they change the original coding. Because of the changes made, they are banned here on this forum, and any installation that contains them are ineligible for assistance here.

Why?... because the volunteer developers of Kodi wisely choose to work on improving the original Kodi, rather than trying to sort out some other developer's mess. Especially when some of these builds are earning big money off the backs of all the work done by the volunteers here.

Hope that helps Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
And OpenElec (or other variants like LibreElec and OSMC) are more cut-down and streamlined versions, with just enough OS underneath them to run Kodi, and that optimised to do so, at least in the case of the *Elec ones (LibreElec is a spin-off fork from OpenElec).

OSMC is slightly different as it's based off Debian rather than Raspbian, and also has more OS underneath it and can be expanded on (you can use apt-get and suchlike to install packages onto OSMC, which you cannot do on *Elec). They all work well, and can be a much simpler "plug and play" solution if all you want is Kodi than trying to install it onto a generic OS which isn't optimised for it and will contain other packages and services which take up both storage space and processor time when you may not want or need them to.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kodi User Needs CEC Help0