All settings reset to default on reboot
This has just started happening recently and I haven't changed anything that I am aware of. I'm on 17.3 and this is on a Windows 10 PC I built solely to run Kodi.

What happens is we'll turn the system off at night by pressing the power button on the PC. That function is set to shut down the PC. I see Kodi exit, then the shutting down screen, then a few seconds later the PC turns off. When we turn it back on in the morning, the PC boots correctly and Kodi starts up but everything is reset to default meaning the skin is back to the default and all settings under all of the Kodi menus are back to default. I am using Emby for Kodi and all of those settings are defaulted as well. It doesn't happen every time and I can't seem to recreate it reliably. Either it does it or it doesn't depending on it's mood as near as I can tell.

As a side note, while the skin resets to the default, when I switch back to Nox Silvo, all of the skin specific settings are still there.

It's becoming a bit frustrating as you can well imagine.

It happened again today so I am attaching 2 log files: One from last night before it was shut off and one from when I turned it on today. I didn't have debug mode enabled of course but maybe there is something in here that can help?

Thanks in advance!

Today's log file: https://zerobin.net/?1e7363b7b6cc92a4#8s...qI4CqCqUWc=
Last night's log file: https://zerobin.net/?b222faac19264903#p6...uYSW/tHdb0=
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Quote:What happens is we'll turn the system off at night by pressing the power button on the PC
And that is most likely the problem. When you make changes to Kodi settings, the settings are not saved immediately. The settings are only saved when Kodi is shutdown using the Kodi Power Options menu. By you shutting down the PC via the power button, Windows is killing the Task and Kodi never has a chance to save the settings.

Some of the skins will save their specific skin settings as they refresh for the change you just made.

Hopefully that solves it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

It's a little weird that this never happened on Kodi 16.x and all versions prior on my Win7 box. Also that I don't change any settings, they've been the same since initial setup but anyway, that's irrelevant at this point.

We don't actually push the button btw. Part of the macro from my remote for "system off" trips a relay for a 1/2 second attached to the power button on the PC which simulates the button being pushed and triggers shutdown.

I control the system via JSON so would it be better to send Application.Shutdown, give it ample time to exit then simulate the button press or send System.Shutdown and let Kodi handle all of it? Does the latter allow Kodi to exit properly before sending the system the shutdown command?
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
A handy trick for this issue is to make all your changes, switch skin to something else and then switch back again. This forces kodi to save the settings.
(2017-08-03, 02:33)Gobberwart Wrote: A handy trick for this issue is to make all your changes, switch skin to something else and then switch back again. This forces kodi to save the settings.

Thanks. I did know that trick and use it often. What's boggling my mind is like I said, I don't make changes lol. It's not like I made a change and it didn't save, everything just resets. This is also a relatively new issue. I believe since 17.3.

--

In looking through the logs a bit, I did notice this:
Code:
ERROR: CProfilesManager: error loading special://masterprofile/profiles.xml, Line 0
                                            Error document empty.

That would make sense that everything is reset if it can't find the profile.xml. The question is why is it suddenly empty? Where did it go?
(2017-08-03, 02:42)TechLife Wrote:
(2017-08-03, 02:33)Gobberwart Wrote: A handy trick for this issue is to make all your changes, switch skin to something else and then switch back again. This forces kodi to save the settings.

Thanks. I did know that trick and use it often. What's boggling my mind is like I said, I don't make changes lol. It's not like I made a change and it didn't save, everything just resets. This is also a relatively new issue. I believe since 17.3.

--

In looking through the logs a bit, I did notice this:
Code:
ERROR: CProfilesManager: error loading special://masterprofile/profiles.xml, Line 0
                                            Error document empty.

That would make sense that everything is reset if it can't find the profile.xml. The question is why is it suddenly empty? Where did it go?
Take a look farther back in the log and see what masterprofile is set to and take a look at that path.
I assume the main Kodi settings file in the masterprofile, guisettings.xml is missing or corrupted. So when Kodi starts it creates a new guisettings.xml, using defaults from the system/settings/settings.xml file. So an interim workaround is to backup guisettings.xml; that way at least you can restore it (addons including skins store their settings in your userdata addon_data folder). I think if profiles.xml is missing Kodi will create a fresh one, but if it is corrupted Kodi will crash on start.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All settings reset to default on reboot0