Xbox Integration Through IR Transmission (Lirc)
Ok first off I want to make it clear that this is not a feature request (atleast not at the moment). I know the developers probably have more important stuff to do at the moment. I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts and discussion on the topic.

While it is possible with a universal remote to easily create a macro to allow integration with an xbox, it would be nice to also retain the games section in xbmc-linux.

As you probably know, lirc has "some" support for ir transmission, allowing linux computers to control other a/v equipment. It is mostly used for channel changing on set top boxes but linux mce has support for things such as lighting, and other home automation stuff.

One device which has native support by lirc is the usb-uirt which has three ir emitters and works with "most" remotes (i am assuming the original xbox remote is one of these).

Does anyone think this would be a good solution to the loss of ability to play xbox games on xbmc-linux? And perhaps to a lesser extent, could be used to integrate other consoles such as ps3 and xbox360.

In the game section you could add a source and specify a macro to be associated with it. Xbmc could keep track of the power status of the console and/or execute discrete power on/off and video input codes to the other devices through lirc. Perhaps even transmit button presses to the xbox console so its ir receiver can be out of site.

Although the start page on xbmc can be changed to the games section and pretty much everything customised, if a developer wanted to even take it a step further, perhaps even a stripped down version of xbmc could be released with only the games, settings and files sections.

While this has plenty of potential, i think it also has plenty of potential to become messy and complicated like linux mce. Perhaps it could just be added with a script.

Well theres just about all my thoughts on the subject. Lets hear yours.

Nick

p.s. on a seperate but similar note, light dimming on video playback...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox Integration Through IR Transmission (Lirc)0