GUI extremely slow
Hello,
I have a fresh new installation of Raspbian 9 (kernel Linux 4.9.41 - v7+) on a PI3, with a 32gb class 10 card and nothing else attached besides mouse and keyboard, wich seems to work well.
The very first app I installed was Kodi from Debian 17.1, through the default graphical system installer. I didn't modify anithing in the OS.
The problem is that the GUI is running extremely slow: it delivers 0.2 fps and the four cpus are engaged at 99% by Kodi. The free mem is 696 mb. Also cpu temperature is high, obviously.
I left the program run free for 3 hours, just in case there were some heavy service running at first use, but nothing.
I disabled some minor interface amusements like media thumbnails, but nothing.
I gave 128 mb of memory to the system graphics, instead of the default 64, but nothing.
Anyone has some advice?
Thank you
Angelo
First question (I gotta ask): Do you reall need a whole OS with Raspbian just for Kodi, or are other apps running in the background? Otherwise, have a look at LibreELEC.

Changing the memory pool and favoring the GPU usually does not help overall slowness.
Perhaps you can provide a debug log so we can perhaps so what goes on under the hood.
Raspbian 9 Stretch has, for some days now, Kodi 17.4 compiled explicitly for the RPi. The 17.1 version is the generic OpenGL version and does not work well on the RPi. Update your system and you should get 17.4.
Make sure you are using the Broadcom drivers and not the open source OpenGL drivers.
Also make sure you have at least 160 MB of memory to the GPU, 256 MB is recommended for RPi 2 and 3.
Thank you very much. I tried uninstalling (purge) and reinstalling through console instead of the graphical system tool and for some reason this time I got the 17.4 release, which is workig well. I wonder why yesterday it installed the old 17.1.
Rascas, can you please tell me more about the drivers? how do I know which is installed / how can I change them.
Klojum, you are right, less is better, but as a new user of RPI3 i would like to explore all I can do with it, not expecting top performances. Then, if I realize that all I need is a media center, I will build a more essential system.

Now I am running at 7fps as minimum, with a total cpu time of 8.3% for kodi (at idle!). Enough for me! Smile

Thank you again for the support,
Angelo
OK I found in the kodi system info the video page and it says:
resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz
OpenGL brand: Broadcom
OpenGL version: OpenGL ES 2.0

Is this the right driver?
Yes, it is the default one in most of the Raspberry Pi OSs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUI extremely slow0