Win Kodi crashes
Hi there,

Can anyone help with my problem please?

Kodi works fine but I have a problem with it crashing. I get a standard Windows message about the program not responding. I thought it occured when the PC resumed from sleep but now believe that it has something to do with Kodi reinitialising in some way as it happens when the TV is turned back on. It doesn't crash every time, perhaps 33% of the time. I have looked into this for quite some time now and am now stumped.

Windows 10 64bit, version 1703 build 15063.502
CPU: Intel Q8400
4GB Ram
Kodi 17.4
NextPVR backend (version 4.0.4.170820)
NVidia GT 720 (for graphics and audio over HDMI)
NVidia driver: 385.41
Panasonic TV

Here's a debug log:

Link
I'm assuming you are hooking this up to an AV receiver?
It has two PCIe dual DVB-T2 TV tuner cards.
Quote:It doesn't crash every time, perhaps 33% of the time.
These kind of errors are the hardest to pin down. Going through your log, most of the errors I'm seeing are PVR related, and in that regard, I would be tempted to run Kodi portable without PVR loaded, default base with no configuration or extras, and see if the issue has been resolved. I suspect as in most of the suspend/sleep issues, that in progress algorithms are not put away nicely by the MS software, and in that re-establishment of the code environment, the process reminds me of Humpty Dumpty.

As an aside: In the past, the order of tasks running has changed how MS handles active ram data and prepares sleep mode, you might consider changing this launch order to see if there is any joy in that.
"These kind of errors are the hardest to pin down"

You're not kidding. I've read through the forums more than once and tried everything that I know to solve the problem.

I'll try without the PVR loaded. I noticed all the backend errors but wasn't sure what they mean. I can't see anything wrong with the way that NextPVR is configured. I have had this problem with multiple NextPVR and Kodi versions.

I can turn the TV on, Kodi is in 'dim' screensaver mode and when I press a button on the remote it crashes. This is what happened for the log I attached.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand your last sentence. When the PC boots I have a task that starts Kodi one minute after login. I don't know how to affect things when Windows sleeps.

The PC is a 'lean' setup. It runs NextPVR, Kodi and drivers and that's it.
Thanks for the additional background information, it sets up the environment and eliminates a plethora of questions. If you run something like MS process explorer (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s-explorer) you will see how many tasks are active and how much ram is available and set the priority of various functions. More ram allows for more unsegmented code, which can be stored and retrieved easier, some users with this problem have had success by changing the order of launch, while others never have any luck with sleep.

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/...-mode.html
Thanks. I'll dig down and see what I can find with the process explorer.

I did notice the errors that seem to me to be networking related. I'll see what I can find there too.

My gut feeling is that it's my PC, not a 'pure' Kodi issue. ...but it is oh so frustrating.
I've now managed for many days to prove that the issue is not with Kodi.

I have:

a) killed all NextPVR tasks/services for several days
b) disabled the NextPVR add-on for several days.

Kodi didn't crash once.

I have another issue that I didn't mention before. Quite often Kodi wakes from sleep and seems to have no connection to the NExtPVR backend. This is quickly solved by deleting PVR backend data within Kodi, whereupon it gets immediately imported into Kodi.

Does anybody have any ideas for me? This is driving me potty. I can see no issues on the PC, no issues with the network/networking. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Darren.
So no Kodi, which is good, but you probably need to talk with the NextPVR group to see what might be causing the issue. Also, see if the issue comes up if you turn off Power Saving on the PC (so it doesn't go to sleep).
OK, so it took a while but I finally cracked this.

...and you'll love the solution.

What caused Kodi to crash was the fact that I linked to a channel icons folders within Kodi. I noticed that the crashes upon wake often had the message "Getting channel icons" (can't remember exactly what the message is) in the top corner when it crashed.

Returning to default settings in Kodi to remove the link made the problem go away. To confirm this I went back to an image of a previous base build and changed just that one thing (I had changed a great many things trying to fix the problem).

Putting the icons in the NextPVR folder (The NextPVR configuration folder and then Media\Channels\) works fine. Kodi picked up the icons and displayed them.

I have not had a single 'crash upon wake' for weeks now. Hurray!

So, I am assuming that this is something that can be 'trapped' in Kodi?

I'll post a separate thread as I notice quite a few other people talking about unexplained crashes in the forums

Darren.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes0