HTPC doesn't recognise Gparted thumb drive
I'm trying to fit a new 1TB hard drive to my HTPC, which is running the latest version of OpenElec with no other operating systems installed, and from searching here I've found that a method recommended for its simplicity is to burn a bootable thumb drive containing Gparted and use that program to partition and format the new disc.

On a separate Windows 7 machine I've created the thumb drive, apparently with no problems, using gparted-live-0.29.0-1-i686.iso from this site and burning it with Rufus-2.16. The problem I'm having is that I can't persuade the computer to boot from the drive: it appears in the boot menu (accessed by pressing Esc during start-up) but selecting it has no effect: the machine boots into OpenElec as if the drive wasn't there.

When I was setting up the PC I used the same method (Rufus) and (as far as I recall) the same settings to burn a drive with OpenElec - in fact, it was the same drive - and that worked flawlessly though of course I was working with a completely blank machine on that occasion.

The PC is a comparatively old desktop model, Pentium dual-core CPU E5300 @ 2.6GHz with 4GB RAM.

I'll be very grateful for any thoughts on where I might be going wrong.

Many thanks.

I'm sorry to respond to my own post but I have managed to tie the problem down a little.

I just tried the thumb drive in a Windows PC and the machine booted to it with no problems. So clearly the difficulty lies with my HTPC, not the thumb drives I've been using or the burning software. The HTPC is running the latest version of OpenElec with no other OS installed. Any ideas on what might be wrong and how I can fix it will be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Try an alternative system, LibreELEC. It has its own installer.
Thanks for the suggestion. Does LibreELEC include a disk partitioner & formatter? That's what I need if I'm going to use EXT4, which I understand is the best option.
I've now installed LibreELEC but I abandoned my attempts to format the storage disk in EXT4 and went instead for NTFS. I still haven't solved the mystery of why the computer won't automatically boot from a USB drive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC doesn't recognise Gparted thumb drive0