Turning the Pi On and Off
I just saw a video where they said you could turn the Pi Off using Kodi (but could not turn the Pi back on via Kodi).

To turn it back on they suggested getting a power supply with a switch (click it twice) to reboot instead of having to unplug and re-plug the micro usb connector.

Would this work, and would it be a safe way to turn the Pi on and off without causing any problems ?

Was thinking of getting the RemotePi but thought this might be a simpler way of doing things.
The simple way:
Turn the pi off with kodi.
Unplug pi.
Turn pi on by plugging back in.

That sounds like a pain, but if you leave your pi switched on - and why wouldn't you? - it's not an issue.
I probably do the above about every 3 months.
And yes, that's the same as the 'double click the switch' method.
Why would you need to turn it off? It only costs about $5/yr to run. The device is designed to be always on.
(2017-09-08, 14:22)ActionA Wrote: Why would you need to turn it off? It only costs about $5/yr to run. The device is designed to be always on.
I have one I turn off 'cos I don't want a flat car battery. Wink
For that I use the highly advanced 'disconnect power and cross fingers' method (and keep a spare sd card in the ashtray).
Pi4, the RemotePi is child proof since pressing the power button on the RemotePi board invokes a safe shutdown sequance. As such you can't get sd card corruption which is a risk when shutting down by cuttting power (via an inline power switch from your power brick). But it's your choice which way you go - just decide. And remember your words; "happy wife happy life". O'h and no need to be asking the same/similar questions repeatedly.

In any case, it's not a good idea including a video link that outlines how to install Banned Add-ons (wiki) like TVADDONS , EXODUS, etc. I'd suggest you remove the video link in your post before the moderators do (surprised it's not already binned).
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I've been using a Broadlink MP1 WiFi Power Board to completely power off/on my Raspberry Pi 3 ... works perfectly

I always power OFF the Raspberry Pi 3 via the Kodi > Shutdown > Power Off option

Then using my Android Smartphone power it OFF via the Broadlink MP1 App ... next day or two, use the App to power ON

Been doing this for nearly a year ... no problems (SD Card, Attached HDD's all fine)
(2017-09-08, 14:22)ActionA Wrote: Why would you need to turn it off? It only costs about $5/yr to run. The device is designed to be always on.

I guess I'm just old school. Though I might very well wind up leaving it on in the end. Also and more importantly I understand there's a question as to if any attached HDs will spin down. I might not mind leaving the Pi on, but I don't want my HDs constantly running.

I'm also considering doing a muliboot and am not sure how to go from one program to the other.
I saw a few vids where when the Pi starts up you're given a choice of which to boot to. Once you're in say Kodi, how would I get to another ? Would I have to quit Kodi and reboot the Pi to get to the selection screen again ?
I bought one of these ...

just got it this week .. works great ! really cheap too about $5 AUD

Have a FLIRC case which is difficult swapping SD Cards ... this makes it easy to insert 2 SD Cards and flip the switch to change (boot) between OS

If you want a Dual Boot Software solution ... then Berryboot is OK

http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot
(2017-09-08, 15:53)skylarking Wrote: Pi4, the RemotePi is child proof since pressing the power button on the RemotePi board invokes a safe shutdown sequance. As such you can't get sd card corruption which is a risk when shutting down by cuttting power (via an inline power switch from your power brick). But it's your choice which way you go - just decide. And remember your words; "happy wife happy life". O'h and no need to be asking the same/similar questions repeatedly.

In any case, it's not a good idea including a video link that outlines how to install Banned Add-ons (wiki) like TVADDONS , EXODUS, etc. I'd suggest you remove the video link in your post before the moderators do (surprised it's not already binned).

Thanks Sky, done. Actually I didn't watch it past the beginning part where he was talking about the hardware. Which was the only part I was interested in. However thats not a good excuse and I thank you for the heads up !

Yes I suppose it was similar to another post, though we never touched on potential problems of shutting down via a switch in the other. That was my main concern here. It's a bit confusing in that I've read some say it will cause problems to just shut it down, yet I see where many are doing it and say they have no problems. Amazon is selling quite a few of them.
(2017-09-08, 16:37)SeVreN2013 Wrote: I bought one of these ...

Where did you get it at that price? I can't find one for any price that isn't crazy!
(2017-09-08, 16:04)SeVreN2013 Wrote: I've been using a Broadlink MP1 WiFi Power Board to completely power off/on my Raspberry Pi 3 ... works perfectly

I always power OFF the Raspberry Pi 3 via the Kodi > Shutdown > Power Off option

Then using my Android Smartphone power it OFF via the Broadlink MP1 App ... next day or two, use the App to power ON

Been doing this for nearly a year ... no problems (SD Card, Attached HDD's all fine)

Have a FLIRC case which is difficult swapping SD Cards ... this makes it easy to insert 2 SD Cards and flip the switch to change (boot) between OS

If you want a Dual Boot Software solution ... then Berryboot is OK

http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

Thanks Sevren,

I've seen those power strips but I don't have a smartphone. Though they also come with dedicated wireless remotes which I guess would work the same. The two SD Card thing I've never seen before, what is the name of that product ?

(2017-09-08, 16:04)SeVreN2013 Wrote: I always power OFF the Raspberry Pi 3 via the Kodi > Shutdown > Power Off option

Yes I've read that that would cause problems, yet I see more and more people are doing it without any problems at all.
I guess if you're shutting it down properly with Kodi, powering it back up isn't 'that' dangerous to do ? I don't know.

I don't understand one thing, could you clarify something. You said 'I always power OFF the Raspberry Pi 3 via Kodi ' but then you say you 'use my Android Smartphone power it OFF via the Broadlink MP1 App'

Are the Pi and the attached HDs completely off when you powered off from Kodi, or are they still on until you power them off with the Broadlink ?
(2017-09-08, 19:00)mcelliott Wrote:

Where did you get it at that price? I can't find one for any price that isn't crazy!

Oops ... $8 AUD + Free Postage

http://www.icstation.com/dual-card-adapt...10868.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning the Pi On and Off0