Newbie Questions
I am moving from plex to Kodi 17.4

I would like to achieve the following options only on the home screen so other people cannot play with Kodi except to play media.

Films, Documentaries, Standup, Music, etc. with each one only having the approriate content

I have tried reading the wiki but am still not sure where to even start, custom skin, video nodes or smart playlists

I am having a few problems with the library and matching metadata everything is named for plex /TV/ShowName/Season/SXXEXX but several refuse to match in Kodi and Doctor Who has decided the first 9 seaons of Dr who (2005) belong to Dr Who (1963) and I have been unable to untangle them

Which remote would people recommend my TV doesn't support CEC

Cheers, Simon
Change the folder to the below one and try again.
/TV/Dr Who (2005)/Season/SXXEXX

You can use smart playlists (wiki) to achieve the second task with a skin that allows custom nodes on the main menu.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Use a custom skin such as Titan (My preference) and you can choose what comes up on the home screen and the system menu. Here is an example of one of my smart playlists:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Documentaries</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="genre" operator="contains">
        <value>Documentary</value>
    </rule>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>

I then have another one for stand up, another for foreign, another for family, then to finish it off you have EVERYTHING else:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Movies</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="genre" operator="doesnotcontain">
        <value>Documentary</value>
        <value>Stand Up</value>
        <value>Foreign</value>
        <value>Family</value>
    </rule>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>

Obviously this will require your films to have the correct genres, I personally use Ember Media Manager and NFO files to accomplish this.
Now with video nodes you can get REALLY crazy, but if you just want to separate your categories, smart playlists will do just fine.
renaming Dr Who didn't work.

Is there anyway of pointing a smart playlist at a directory ie d:/ScienceFiction/

will give Titan a go

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Questions0