Kodi custom components installation on Windows
Hi all. I am in the process of installing the latest Kodi. Before I install any software, I always select the custom installation option. Then do a search online in order to verify if I really need all the components or not for my specific installation. But this is the first time I am unable to find any info regarding this. I know that if I don't have a TV tuner card I should not select "PVR Add-ons", but I cannot find in Google nor here in the forums what the other options do. If I am not planning to encode audio, do I need "Audio encoder add-ons"?. What is the application for "Inputstream Add-ons"?. Is "Microsoft Visual C++ required or is it for a specific use"?. Thanks in advanced for any info in doing a custom installation in Windows.
PVR disable if no tuner card. Audio encoders disable if you don't plan on ripping music cds. Inputstream has to do with youtube (and other online streaming?) so leave it enabled unless you plan on playing locally only or you don't use youtube (Might be required for other things, not entirely sure, but it has to do with streaming protocol). Screensaver is self explanatory. Visualizations disable if you aren't going to be playing any kind of music files or don't care for bouncy shit while listening to music.

If an installer comes with ANY kind of C++ runtimes, just install it. If the installer has an older version than what you have, nothing SHOULD be changed. If it's newer, then you'll be updated!
I eschew the PVR and a lot of the rest, save for the C++ runtimes which are a must.
(2017-09-28, 22:26)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: PVR disable if no tuner card. Audio encoders disable if you don't plan on ripping music cds. Inputstream has to do with youtube (and other online streaming?) so leave it enabled unless you plan on playing locally only or you don't use youtube (Might be required for other things, not entirely sure, but it has to do with streaming protocol).  Screensaver is self explanatory.  Visualizations disable if you aren't going to be playing any kind of music files or don't care for bouncy shit while listening to music.

If an installer comes with ANY kind of C++ runtimes, just install it.  If the installer has an older version than what you have, nothing SHOULD be changed. If it's newer, then you'll be updated!

Thanks a lot!!! This was very helpful and I hope anyone with the same question is able to find this.
(2017-09-28, 22:31)PatK Wrote: I eschew the PVR and a lot of the rest, save for the C++ runtimes which are a must.

Thanks!!!
Among the PVR add-ons available is IPTV Simple Client (wiki) so it isn't required to have a tuner card (or alternative source such as HDHR)  to use this feature.  Running the C++ runtimes installer takes some time, but doesn't cause any problems.  If you install x86 Kodi and later x64 version (currently pre-alpha ) you will need to rerun the C++ installer since there are separate MS builds for each platform (note also currently Kodi uses the 2015 C++ aka v.14 , not 2017).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi custom components installation on Windows0