Req Making Kodi (internal player) compatible with HDR standards
Rainbow 
There are solutions to use external players to play HDR content, but this is not about that.

I wonder, what does it take for Kodi to become HDR compatible?
Is it licensing, is it dependency of FFmpeg which also needs to support it prior, is it lack of interest within the core dev team?
Where are we at and what's on the roadmap for HDR?
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
HDR is no requireemnt for VideoPlayer but for the platforms that provide the visual we render to. In the meantime most platforms are capable of decoding 10 bit by hardware (sw decodeing works anyway). But even if we submit 10bit to the driver, it hits the display as 8 bit.
On the right hardware (e.g. amlogic s905x) Kodi can play HDR files with 10 bit output, BT.2020 and HDR metadata passthrough. Kodi itself isn't HDR or color space "aware" though AFAIK.
(2017-10-11, 12:54)FernetMenta Wrote: HDR is no requireemnt for VideoPlayer but for the platforms that provide the visual we render to. In the meantime most platforms are capable of decoding 10 bit by hardware (sw decodeing works anyway). But even if we submit 10bit to the driver, it hits the display as 8 bit.

Are you saying that HDR works as long as the driver/hw supports it? If so, why is this still a thing? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229692
A friend of mine with GTX 1080 Ti cannot get HDR to work with Kodi, while other players can. (seen by info OSD on his TV)
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
The videopath is different in Windows. Afaik you can it work if you use the unsupported Kodi DS fork and use madVRas the renderer, Your GPU must be nvidia 10xx series (or one of the later 9 series that supports hardware hevc decoding) , and you must tell madVR to use the private Nvidia API (not the windows 10 api). If configured right, SDR will be played as SDR and HDR will be played as HDR.
It's "still a thing" because it does everything the unofficial Kodi DS fork does except it uses the official Kodi releases including latest nightlies such as last nights x64 installer I use. It also allows for any choice of multiple players to be set as automatic default or manually selected at will. All of the players and components (if any) can also use nightly versions of themselves. This way YOU determine if you want to be state of the art and as current as possible or if you'd rather someone else updates things for you when they see fit or get around to it if ever in THEIR release. This is handy when a problem develops and they often do. Usually, it is addressed right away and you can update so it reflects for you using nightly versions of various things. When you are dependent on an updated new release, like any forked version of Kodi, your fix might not reflect for a longer time if ever. So, imo, a forked version of Kodi actually does everything an official version with external players does. Not the other way around. Again, jmo and not intended to take anything away from forked versions. Lot's of folks prefer them.

Fwiw, and afaik, official versions of Kodi (Windows) cannot play HEVC HDR. I have noticed the x64 nightlies have some adjustments. I do not fully understand them but have tried some combos and got no where. (I think) these might be of use for some kind of HDR test rips I'm not familiar with? I couldn't get anything in the Wiki to play. I also got away from using 3D Luts so this might have something to do with it? I'm more interested in pass through of HDR data. I also have no interest in software decoding. I'm interested in GPU hardware decoding. I know using external players is no problem and have been performing perfectly for quite a while. I really can't speak for any versions of the internal player or forked Kodi versions players.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-10-18, 11:48)tripkip Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 12:54)FernetMenta Wrote: HDR is no requireemnt for VideoPlayer but for the platforms that provide the visual we render to. In the meantime most platforms are capable of decoding 10 bit by hardware (sw decodeing works anyway). But even if we submit 10bit to the driver, it hits the display as 8 bit.

Are you saying that HDR works as long as the driver/hw supports it? If so, why is this still a thing? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229692
A friend of mine with GTX 1080 Ti cannot get HDR to work with Kodi, while other players can. (seen by info OSD on his TV)

I am saying that VideoPlayer common code supports it. Driver/hw and Kodi's platform dependent code needs to support HDR as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Making Kodi (internal player) compatible with HDR standards0