udisk vs. udisk2 for USB
Hi folks,

I'm running a Lubuntu minimal installation and recently upgraded to 16.04. LTS and stumbled upon non-working USB auto mount.

What I think I understood from some forum entries and trac is that Kodi internally uses udisks commands to auto mount usb devices.
Now, in 16.04. there's no udisks anymore, but udisk2 and there's
https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17560
to port to udisk2.

1. Any plans in which version 17560 will be resolved?

2. Is there a way to workaround this? I already tried to use custom udev rules, but miserably failed. I assume due to some permission problems that I couldn't figure out so far.
I thought maybe the udisk commands, Kodi uses, are in some script that could be edited or something? 

3. I think I can't simply remove udisk2 and replace it with disks in 16.04., can I?

Thanks in advance,
o_neill
Not planned currently, lack of time and devs. A PR is welcome.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-10-18, 18:45)fritsch Wrote: Not planned currently, lack of time and devs. A PR is welcome.

Yes, I believe. I'll see, if I can help.

So what would you suggest as workaround?
How about sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install udisks
(2017-10-21, 00:09)Soli Wrote: How about sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install udisks

It's not possible to install udisks and udisk2 in parallel. 

I would need to remove udisk2, but I don't know, if anything in 16.04. relies on udisk2 and if udisks is compatible with 16.04. Maybe you know?
It works fine with both installed.
(2017-10-21, 17:02)Soli Wrote: It works fine with both installed.

Ok, that would be great, how did you install it?

When I do 
sudo apt-get install udisk
I get:

"Package udisks is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source"
Sorry, it's been removed from ubuntu after 14.04. But just build it from source. (Google udisks github?)
(2017-10-22, 04:03)Soli Wrote: Sorry, it's been removed from ubuntu after 14.04. But just build it from source. (Google udisks github?)

I use udevil for that stuff, just starting the appropriate command before starting kodi.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-10-22, 08:00)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 04:03)Soli Wrote: Sorry, it's been removed from ubuntu after 14.04. But just build it from source. (Google udisks github?)

I use udevil for that stuff, just starting the appropriate command before starting kodi.

Ok, thanks to you both, then I try udevil & devmon. Do you run devmon from a script automatically? Where would you suggest to start devmon?
You can mount using udisks-glue and udisks (have to build both yourself).
You can use just udev . Here's a basic conf file, edit as needed: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/13316383/ (But my Kodi won't unmount disks that are mounted with udev unless I run as root, since udev... maybe you can just add a chown command to fix that)
Or use udevil (apt-get install udevil installs both udevil/devmon) Automounting Disks (Optional)

udevil includes devmon, a command line Linux program which mounts and unmounts removable devices without a password, shows device info, and monitors device changes
sudo systemctl start devmon@<user>
sudo systemctl enable devmon@<user>

(the udevil tidbit I found using Google, haven't used it myself)
(2017-10-22, 16:30)o_neill Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 08:00)fritsch Wrote:

Ok, thanks to you both, then I try udevil & devmon. Do you run devmon from a script automatically? Where would you suggest to start devmon?

Yeah, I just start devmon & before auto starting kodi
(2017-10-24, 14:09)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 16:30)o_neill Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 08:00)fritsch Wrote: I use udevil for that stuff, just starting the appropriate command before starting kodi.

Yeah, I just start devmon & before auto starting kodi

Hi guys, thanks so much, that helped a lot already!
So I installed udevil & devmon now and when I run devmon from terminal, usb recognition works fine in the kodi desktop session. 

But I can't figure out, from where to autostart devmon. Since my installation is based upon the former kodibuntu I tried to put a sh-script to /etc/kodi/live.d  like described in this thread
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=124781 but it does not work.
Would you tell me exactly what lines I need to put in which location to make it work? 

(The systemctl commands Soli posted also don't work out of the box)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
udisk vs. udisk2 for USB0