Looking for advice on alternative players
I'm trying to replace an old DviCo player which plays my library of DVD ISOs flawlessly, and I an using a Shield running Kodi.

This seems to be a mistake; Kodi fails to play many of the ISOs and when it does play, it hangs or stutters of several of them.

I assume this is the fault of the built-in player which seems seriously fragile.

Does anyone know of a reliable player that can be used in Android under Kodi to play SMB or NFS ISOs?

IIRC, the DviCo player was open source, but I can't seem to find any reference to it. It was *great*: plays reliably, plays double-speed with audio and supports all my disks. Kodi, has the great indexing system that is a much better UI. I'd love a combination.

Any suggestions (or pointers to the DviCo source, if open source) would be appreciated!
(2017-10-22, 09:28)Grunthos Wrote: I'm trying to replace an old DviCo player which plays my library of DVD ISOs flawlessly, and I an using a Shield running Kodi.

This seems to be a mistake; Kodi fails to play many of the ISOs and when it does play, it hangs or stutters of several of them.

I assume this is the fault of the built-in player which seems seriously fragile.
Making assumptions about what is in error without knowing the proper cause is a bit short-sighted. Every Kodi client keeps log files of what is happening, I suggest your post one of those debug log (wiki) files. Then we can see where hiccups occur. Perhaps it just needs a few settings adjusted.

The main player in Kodi has been developed for over 7 years now, it is hardly fragile for the number of video formats and features it currently supports. It is in constant development so should errors arise, they can be dealt with whenever possible.
(2017-10-22, 10:14)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 09:28)Grunthos Wrote: I'm trying to replace an old DviCo player which plays my library of DVD ISOs flawlessly, and I an using a Shield running Kodi.

Making assumptions about what is in error without knowing the proper cause is a bit short-sighted. Every Kodi client keeps log files of what is happening, I suggest your post one of those debug log (wiki) files. Then we can see where hiccups occur. Perhaps it just needs a few settings adjusted.

The main player in Kodi has been developed for over 7 years now, it is hardly fragile for the number of video formats and features it currently supports. It is in constant development so should errors arise, they can be dealt with whenever possible.

Fair enough; the little I know of the DVD spec suggests it is highly deficient, and that players have to be robust rather than "to spec", so I just assumed that the Kodi player was the latter not the former.

I have posted the logs in another thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322648 in the windows support forum (the problems occur in Windows too) but had given up hope of a solution, which is why I am asking for an alternative player. Sadly I don't have a log of the stalls and freezes since they are less common and I do not have logging enabled all the time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for advice on alternative players0