v17 How to increase brightness?
Question 
Hi,
I run Kodi 17.4 on an RPI3/OSMC attached via HDMI to a Medion TV set. The RC will automatically switch to Kodi when I select the respective Kodi entry. 
All in all I really like this feature and I didn't expect the RC to work so well together with Kodi. 
However there is one problem: Films I watch on Kodi (i.e. mp4s) are too dark as compared to the standard TV.
Problem is now that I can increase brightness only when I watch the TV through the 'Settings'-button. When I watch Kodi, the 'Settings' direct me to Kodi settings. 
So, I either need a possibility to switch my RC to my liking - which I can't figure out.
Or I need to increase the brightness of Kodi's output. But Kodi does not seem to have a respective setting (I spent hours looking for it.)
Could someone point me to a solution? Thanks
RPI 3 with OSMC Aeon Nox and KODI 17.5
Anyone, anyone?
You can try to switch to a different pixel encoding mode (hdmi_pixel_encoding in config.txt).
Code:
hdmi_pixel_encoding=0 default       (limited for CEA, full for DMT)
hdmi_pixel_encoding=1 RGB limited   (16-235)
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2 RGB full      ( 0-255)
hdmi_pixel_encoding=3 YCbCr limited (16-235)
hdmi_pixel_encoding=4 YCbCr full    ( 0-255)
(2017-10-31, 15:52)smp1 Wrote: You can try to switch to a different pixel encoding mode (hdmi_pixel_encoding in config.txt).

Thank you for your reply. How would I do this? 
I use WinSCP to access files on the sd-card but overwriting the config.txt file is refused.
My config.txt is under /boot/, has 1kb, and contains solely the following entries: 
"gpu_mem_1024=256  
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1  
disable_overscan=1
start_x=1  
disable_splash=1
gpu_mem_256=112  
sdtv_aspect=1  
gpu_mem_512=144  "
Quote: but overwriting the config.txt file is refused
Enter this command:
mount -o remount,rw /boot

Add hdmi_pixel_encoding=1 to config.txt, save and reboot. If that doesn't make the picture brighter, try hdmi_pixel_encoding=2.
I tried - i.e. by switching of the RPI and open config.txt under windows - and I seem to have improved by selecting hdmi_pixel_encoding=3.
Yet I wonder if there is something wrong with some files I have? But they are just standard mp4-files from reliable sources...
(2017-11-01, 01:45)Quastenflosser Wrote: I tried - i.e. by switching of the RPI and open config.txt under windows - and I seem to have improved by selecting hdmi_pixel_encoding=3.
Yet I wonder if there is something wrong with some files I have? But they are just standard mp4-files from reliable sources...

What are they like on another device?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to increase brightness?0