Linux Lose network (SMB) when LightDM Auto enabled
I don't get it.  I have two HP systems that I am configuring for KODI with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.  One worked fine.  One constantly fails to browse the network as soon as I enable the autologin/autolaunch with lightdm.

I am NOT proficient with Ubuntu or Linux but the build is super straight forward as follows:

1) Install Ubuntu 16.04.3LTS - Erase Disk - all Defaults - enable downloads and such

2) Login as admin user and do the following:
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install kodi

3) Disable PulseAudio - As I have had issues with audio not switching to HDMI out
http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio/HOW-TO:...for_Ubuntu

% sudo cp /etc/pulse/client.conf /etc/pulse/client.confbackup
% sudo gedit /etc/pulse/client.conf
Changed "; autospawn = yes" to "autospawn = no"

4) Enable Kodi Auto-Login

% sudo adduser --disabled-password --disabled-login --gecos "" kodi && sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,netdev,users,dialout,dip,input kodi

% sudo apt-get install -y lightdm

Edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf commenting out the autolaunch until KODI configed and tested:

% sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=kodi
# autologin-session=kodi
# autologin-user-timeout=delay

5) Restart and Autologin as KODI where I run KODI manually and configured my preferences and SMB shares.  Everything there works fine.  I can choose the right audio out device, resolution and successfully navigate the network share and play videos.

I setup a couple shares and the library pulls the covers fine and everything works great.

6) Enable Auto-Launch:  Edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf  removing comments:

% sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=kodi
autologin-session=kodi
autologin-user-timeout=delay

7) Restart and it auto logs in and launches KODI just right.  I can even use "Kodi Remote" app from my iPhone to control Kodi just fine - so networking is working as it uses IP to establish the connection to perform remote functions.

BANG!!!  Can't access network shares......

Attempt to access the share through the Files section produces "Error: Invalid Argument"
Attempt to Add Videos and access the same share produces: "Error: Connection refused"

8) If I go back in and comment back out the "autologin-session=kodi" and restart so I can access the desktop and run Kodi all the shares work fine.  But if I toggle it back to autolaunch into Kodi it doesn't.

What the heck!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Debug Log needed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lose network (SMB) when LightDM Auto enabled0